Skip to main content

Spicy Corn and Sweet Potato Chowder

As promised, I am posting today the review on a recipe. I used organic ingredients, or home grown from the freezer, and home grown oregano.


Here is the recipe: 


1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
2 ribs celery, chopped
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. dried oregano
1 large sweet potato, peeled, cut into 1/2 inch or so pieces
1 pkg (10 oz) frozen corn
4 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup spicy salsa 
optional:  serve over ripe, peeled and chopped avocado and chopped fresh cilantro

Original instructions state to saute your onion, bell pepper, celery, first, then add the remaining and cook in a pot until potatoes are tender.  

I sauteed the veggies, but tossed them into a crock pot, and cooked everything that way.  It smelled wonderful, almost like the vegetarian chili we make.

I didn't feel the "spicy" part was there when I made this recipe.  I used my own home canned zucchini salsa.  However, I can tell you that I added some chopped hot banana peppers (diced) and about 1/2 teaspoon of my "fire powder" and it was delicious.  I tossed in a few white potatoes, just because I had them on hand.  Next time I'll put two sweet potatoes in it.  I probably had more than 10 ounces of corn, as I thawed a bag from the freezer (corn off the cob).

I also used cubes of my frozen celery, and tossed those directly into the crock pot, and it worked just as well as fresh. 

I did not serve it over the avocado nor the cilantro, but felt it was very good after adding the peppers (diced and ground).  Jalapeno would be good too.  I just used what I had in my freezer and pantry.

I used organic cumin from the store.  Cumin is very difficult to grow here.
 

Comments

Susan said…
That sounds and looks amazing!
Candy C. said…
Sounds really good! We are big fans of cumin and cilantro so I would definitely try to add them in. Thanks for the recipe!
Susan it was delicious. I will be making it again.
RB said…
Looks real good. Lord only knows how much I love soup too, almost any soup - year round.
God bless.
RB
<><
RB, we love soups here too.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart