One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One mother making ends meet and surviving today's recession by writing. One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Monday, January 11, 2016

Read a book? Ha!

I woke up to the downpour of rain yesterday morning, which as you saw in yesterday's post, quickly turned to snow.  I for once, was glad to see it. 

It was my excuse to hunker in for the entire day and do something I do not normally have the time to do - read a book. 

Our 16 year-old was up making us all omelets for breakfast, which started our day out great - potatoes, bacon, green peppers, etc.  Mmmm.



I picked this book from my large stack of gifted books this past Christmas.  By evening, I was still reading it, and eventually finished the entire book.

I have mixed feelings over this book.  I write, so I tend to over analyze.  I don't want to spoil it, but the woman does not live a continued "off the grid" life in this entire book.  She lives that way for about 10 years, and must move due the land owner selling the land.  It's a very interesting book on how she relied on other people's junk to make her rented home livable - no running water, no electric, no toilet etc.  

In many ways, parts of her way of life reminded me of many of my blog world friend's.  I had to laugh when she got fed up with trespassers and went in search of a shot gun to upgrade from a small pistol.  Yes, this woman had guts and didn't back down for even drug makers trying to shoot her in her home.  

I'll be honest, I think I would have a very difficult time going back to living "on the grid" after all those years off.  It starts to cost a great deal of money to live "on" verses "off."  Your water and sewer will form a bill, your electric, the cost of a computer, the internet, appliances (and they do break down and need replaced), and so forth.  

Have I talked Hubby into going completely "off the grid?"  Nope.  Not yet.

I looked at my fitbit and told him that I can't read a book all in one day anymore.  He laughed.  I told him shockingly, my steps amounted to just over 2,000 yesterday.  Ha ha ha!  It was a well worth break from busyness.

4 comments:

Mama Pea said...

Glad you reviewed this book. I've been trying to get it from our inter-library loan system ever since you first mentioned it. I think I still want to read it. It will be interesting to compare her experiences to the years we lived totally off-grid . . . at the beginning without much of any alternative system and then progressing up to a workable battery/generator system.

Kristina said...

Mama Pea, I can send you my copy. I plan on passing it forward anyway. She had her kids help her dig an outhouse after using a bucket for a while. She was very creative. I would have love to cook on a stove she had too (her indoor or outdoor one).

Susan said...

I'd like to be next in line, Mama Pea! This has been on my to-read list, too. I think you need to be very creative to live off grid. It would be quite a challenge to start at my age, but I would be willing to give it a try. However, I think the dogs would balk at the lack of a freezer to store their raw food...

Kristina said...

Susan, I agree on the dogs. I'd need 50 acres or more so they could run free and catch rabbits and squirrels, while I'm gardening.