Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Friday, February 27, 2015

An egg in my pocket. . .

I had eggs and home canned applesauce for breakfast.  I thought you'd like to know that, because it was the highlight of my day yesterday.  Actually it was, because we are clean out of fresh fruit, and remembering that applesauce sure cheered me up.

The other highlight is not breaking the egg I put in my coat pocket.  I bent over to get some hay and almost forgot it was in  my pocket.  That would have been disastrous. 

Hubby and I came to a decision on the meat birds.
We are not ordering this year.  I'm hoping what's in my freezer will last until fall, and we can "ponder" on fall meat birds.  We haven't decided on layers just yet.

I'm sure a few kiddo's will be happy this spring.   They don't particularly like helping with meat bird chores.




One day left of the month, and I'm still reading my current Hemingway book (left).  I have one more in my books stash, and then it's time to check the library.  I'll admit, I haven't been in the mood to read.  I have to be in the mood.

I took a "sneak" peek photo of my next floor rug, but forgot to load it. I guess I will just wait until it's finished.

I printed off two more scholarship applications for our 18 year-old.  She asked for help, but now she is bombarded with homework on top of applying for these.  She is still a senior in high school, and taking another college class on top of it. 

I asked her if I earned any "Mom" points with her yet.  I bet she never thought I find so many so quickly.  Now, let's hope she gets some of them.  Her room at the college is already secured.  The food card cost is astronomically high.  However, it's the only way to really eat there, especially the first year.



8 comments:

Sam I Am...... said...

11 degrees F here this morning! Brrr....we're supposed to be in the 50's or 60's.....hopefully you are! LOL! So glad you didn't break that one egg. For some reason, I have been in the mood for reading and several audio books too. What a busy and expensive time for your family with college and applications and all those "fees". Where is she going?
I can't wait to see the rug...loved your last one!

Mama Pea said...

Yay for canned applesauce! We've been hitting ours pretty heavily lately, too. We often have just a small dish of it as dessert . . . just enough of a little "sweet" after a meal.

Wonder how many homestead/farm jacket pockets have had an egg broken in them? I'm betting a LOT! :o} I know I've done my share . . . and probably will do more.

It's such a shame that the food costs for your daughter's first year of college look to be so high. But, sigh, we all know how food prices have skyrocketed so it's costing all food services more on their end, too. Does your daughter have a job lined up for this summer? Before she starts college?

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Sam I am, she's attending a state-side college, and her major is Zoology.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mama Pea, no, she doesn't have a job lined up just yet. She is so busy with homework,she can't work right now either. She was up to 3am doing homework the other night. She takes Calculus too. After graduation, she'll look for summer employment.

Mama Pea said...

What a joy to hear of a high schooler with such solid work ethics! (I don't think I EVER stayed up to 3 a.m. doing homework when I was in high school!) I'm sure it's early now for the summer jobs to become available anyway. After graduation when she can give a big sigh of relief, that will be the right time to find a good summer job.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mama Pea, she gets very good grades, so we felt if she worked on top of these tough classes, that her grades will drop (an experience we had with her older sister). Hopefully, she can find a summer job.

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

She does sound ambitious.
Perhaps she could work for herself?
House sitting through the summer, working a near by farm, cleaning out stalls ...hehe... I see the humor there. But she does have experience.
Cleaning houses pays pretty well, as does dog walking and things like that.
She wouldn't have to check groceries, wait tables... the sky is the limit!
Good for her getting her work all done... and being so diligent about it.
I have to say...seeing your books reminds me that I have a ton of old books that I want to begin reading...
Many great works and classics.
You're such an inspiration!
I'm still working at the moment of using up my yarn... so reading is just another thing on the list

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Patricia, I am glad I am inspiring you. Reading is sometimes on my list too. There's never enough time in the day, no matter what season it is.