One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One mother making ends meet and surviving today's recession by writing. One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Homemade Grout/Tile Cleaner

I have to say thanks to a blogger friend over at farmgirlsam.blogspot for this recipe.  She posted about a book Do It Gorgeously, How to Make Less Toxic, Less Expensive and More Beautiful Products, by Sophie Uliano.

I tested this recipe out, and I have to say it gets two thumbs up.  It worked immediately on my tile bathroom shower.  I will never again have to buy those nasty smelling sprays that choke me while cleaning.  


Vinegar/water didn't work, and bleach/water just choked my breath away.

This is also a recipe I can make with my stocked up supplies.  Thank you Sam I am, for sharing this book.  I will be trying more recipes.

Green Scouring Paste and Tile/Grout Cleaner

1 cup baking soda
1 cup borax
1 cup table salt
20 drops lavender essential oil
10 drops tea tree essential oil
~large container with lid to store it in (recycled container)

Place all the ingredients in a large glass measuring cup and mix well.

Pour into your large container and either label it or write on the side of the container with a marker.

Apply with a natural bristle brush for best results.

Book Information:
ISBN: 978-1-4013-4139-8
Home Reference/Green Living
©2010       


Note:  I put my borax and baking soda into my food processor that I reserve for soap making.  Borax tends to clump in rock hard lumps.  This made my mixing much easier.        

4 comments:

Candy C. said...

I like finding these kinds of tips! :)

EMMA said...

Thanks for sharing this, I will definitely be making some up soon.

Sam I Am...... said...

Oh! Great!!!! I haven't made it yet but I need to as my floor grout on the bathroom floors is bad! Thanks for letting me know it works! Like you, I have tried vinegar, bleach and a few other things. I loved all the resources she gave too. I thought it was a great book and included much more than some of the "green" books out there. So glad it worked for you!

Anna W said...

I actually have every one of those ingredients. I will have to give that recipe a try. Thanks for sharing!