Skip to main content

Homemade Grout/Tile Cleaner

I have to say thanks to a blogger friend over at farmgirlsam.blogspot for this recipe.  She posted about a book Do It Gorgeously, How to Make Less Toxic, Less Expensive and More Beautiful Products, by Sophie Uliano.

I tested this recipe out, and I have to say it gets two thumbs up.  It worked immediately on my tile bathroom shower.  I will never again have to buy those nasty smelling sprays that choke me while cleaning.  


Vinegar/water didn't work, and bleach/water just choked my breath away.

This is also a recipe I can make with my stocked up supplies.  Thank you Sam I am, for sharing this book.  I will be trying more recipes.

Green Scouring Paste and Tile/Grout Cleaner

1 cup baking soda
1 cup borax
1 cup table salt
20 drops lavender essential oil
10 drops tea tree essential oil
~large container with lid to store it in (recycled container)

Place all the ingredients in a large glass measuring cup and mix well.

Pour into your large container and either label it or write on the side of the container with a marker.

Apply with a natural bristle brush for best results.

Book Information:
ISBN: 978-1-4013-4139-8
Home Reference/Green Living
©2010       


Note:  I put my borax and baking soda into my food processor that I reserve for soap making.  Borax tends to clump in rock hard lumps.  This made my mixing much easier.        

Comments

Candy C. said…
I like finding these kinds of tips! :)
EMMA said…
Thanks for sharing this, I will definitely be making some up soon.
Sam I Am...... said…
Oh! Great!!!! I haven't made it yet but I need to as my floor grout on the bathroom floors is bad! Thanks for letting me know it works! Like you, I have tried vinegar, bleach and a few other things. I loved all the resources she gave too. I thought it was a great book and included much more than some of the "green" books out there. So glad it worked for you!
GrannyAnnie said…
I actually have every one of those ingredients. I will have to give that recipe a try. Thanks for sharing!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart