One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One mother making ends meet and surviving today's recession by writing. One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Fancy Pen ~ Dehydrating

Here is another one of my fun pens.  This one lights up in the bottom, and flashes different colors when I write.  I can also turn of the light.

Hubby and I went to a choir concert last night.  Two of the girls were in it.  However, this morning they are grouchy.  Anytime they have an event on a school night, it wears them out.

I'm not sure what's on today's agenda today, other than cleaning up the mess the kids left in the kitchen, and laundry.

Yesterday I filled the dehydrator with more green peppers and one tray of jalapeno peppers.  I stocked up the dried ones and ground the cayenne to a powder.  Next on the list is making my own onion powder.  I'll have to wait until next season to make my garlic powder (unless I can find USA grown garlic here).  I re-planted my remaining garlic.

I also made a batch of breakfast burrito filler, using up more green peppers and onions.  I still have more in my garden basket too.

If the farmer is far enough away today, I will pull more garden plants, and weed the flower beds.  And of course, I'll be writing also.  Now that we have the goats dried up, I buy organic milk - $6.99/gallon.  We'll need the extra cash if we want milk this winter.

 
  

 

4 comments:

Lisa Sall - Sall's Country Life said...

I've tried making powders with onions and garlic but I can't quite get it to the right consistency I want. What do you use to grind them up with? Love all the cute vintage finds on your blog!! Have a great day!

Kristina said...

I have tried grinding my dried veggies in my food processor, and it did not work very well. Then I tried a small coffee bean grinder. It worked great.

Candy C. said...

$6.99 a gallon! Yikes!! My goat is drying up and I'm NOT looking forward to having to buy milk again. :(

Corn in my Coffee-Pot said...

Revisiting your dehydration posts...
I'm looking for ideas, reading this one reminded me I have some jalepenos that need to be used up!
Pat