One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One mother making ends meet and surviving today's recession by writing. One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Saturday, May 19, 2012

Bike Ride With the Birds

Although I did not take my camera yesterday, I was fortunate to see a hawk just yards from me.  It flew out of the field nearly causing me to crash, but stayed long enough to allow me to share the countryside with him/her.  I later saw a red-headed wood pecker when I stopped at the bridge and looked over into the creek.

I also saw another red-winged blackbird and more robins.

When I got home, I happened to look up in the trees while putting more laundry out on the line.

I saw this brightly colored bird.  I ran into the house and grabbed my camera and got one photo.

I only got the backside, but boy it was pretty.  The bright orange caught my eye. I've never seen a bird like this one.

3 comments:

Sam I Am...... said...

Could it be a Baltimore Oriel? Looks like an oriel of some kind maybe but I'm no expert!

nancy said...

Great shot, the yellow one might be a goldfinch or western tanager?

Candy C. said...

Google images for Baltimore Oriole, I think that is what it is. How fun to see all those different birds out on your bike ride! :)