One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One mother making ends meet and surviving today's recession by writing. One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Monday, November 22, 2010

Hummus ~ And and another blanket

I made homemade hummus today and I'm having a hard time keeping my 8 year-old out of it.  I like to let the flavors infuse, while allowing it to sit in the fridge for a few hours.  I have to admit, after I tasted it on a cracker, I had a difficult time putting it away too.  We love homemade hummus and it's healthier too.  I use real lemons for the juice and natural tahini in it.


Hummus

2 - 15 oz. cans of garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained and rinsed
4 garlic cloves, minced
2/3 cup of roasted tahini (not raw)
juice of one fresh lemon
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt

Combine all ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth. Add additional water if it is too thick (depending on what size your lemon is).    Place in refrigerator for a few hours before serving.  Add more garlic for a stronger flavor.  Serve with fresh vegetables, pita chips, or reduced fat crackers.

Makes about 3 cups.



And yet I have started another crocheted blanket, using the same colors as the last.  It is an easier pattern and will have a different edge when it's finished.

2 comments:

Amy said...

I love the colors that you chose. I like brown alot. I don't buy black clothes either.

I made a scarf for my Dad that is brown, black, tan, and rust. I will have to post a picture of it.

Have a wonderful day!

Kristina said...

Yes, Amy, post a picture on your blog so we can see it.