Skip to main content

Splitting Firewood by Hand ~ My First Cord of Wood

Start date 9-13-2010

In Progress 10-11-2010
There is more wood stacked to the left and to the right that cannot be seen.  And there are pieces that were stacked but not split also.

The stack of wood to the right, in the above photograph is about 5 1/2 feet tall by 1 1/2 feet wide by  10 feet long.  The stack to the left is also 10 feet wide, but not that tall and also 1 1/2 feet wide.  The stack to the right is older, dry wood for this season, and the stack to the left is split wood for next season.  You can see in the lower left corner, that I have a lot more wood to split, and I have successfully cut my first cord of wood.

Today, I need to purchase a new sledge hammer.  The one I was using, had a wood handle and it was pretty beaten up when I started splitting wood.  I also split wood with a maul ax and was successful with that too.  I now know how the pioneers stayed in shape.  This is very hard work.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart