Skip to main content

Purslane

 We are getting more rain.  It's a muddy mess, and rain is too continue for the weekend.  

Fresh purslane in a salad is my first way to add it to a meal, but to long term store it, I decided to try dehydrating it.  First, you need to pick the smallest, newest plants, as the stems will take longer to dehydrate.

I also air-dried the cuttings a few days before adding them to my dehydrator.  Once they are completely dry, I ground them up into a powder, to add to any meal (soup, stew, eggs, sauces, dressings, smoothies, etc.).

It is a new "first time" for us to try this way to store purslane.  Purslane contains high amounts of oxalates (according to my own research), so always do your own research when foraging.

I'm wondering if purslane can be frozen, and then maybe added to a recipe with a food processer to add to egg dishes, soups and stews?  Just a thought.

Purslane  ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

Comments

You might as well try to freeze some small amounts and see. What could it hurt?
Betsy said…
I've never used purslane and find your ideas really interesting. :-) We're getting more rain today too but it's frustrating because we've had rain most days this week and I would love it to be falling on the Northwest states right now. I know we have no control over it though.
I left a note on my last post about the blanket you asked about. It was a free pattern online, but I don't remember where. I think if you google Virus Blanket it will probably come up. I'm sorry I don't have more information. I've had it for a long time.
I hope things dry out around your place soon. I know how hard it is to get outside work done when it's so wet.
Blessings,
Betsy
Betsy said…
Can you email me with your email address?
Blessings,
Betsy
Anne in the kitchen, yeah, if I find any more out in the garden I will give it a try. It's getting late in the season now.
Thanks Betsy, I will try and google for the pattern. I do have more yarn to use in my stash, but I really like the rotation in the yarn you used. I'll go back to read the comment. Again thanks. Yeah, we are swamped with rain right now, and the thunderstorms are knocking down our plants, and throwing unripe food off of the plants. Frustrating for sure.
Betsy, sent it. Blessings to you too.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart