Skip to main content

Creative Crafting ~ Pressed Flower Bookmark

 Wild violet picking, back about a month ago or so, got me motivated to press some.  Why?  I have no clue, but I did.  The old fashioned way.  I pressed them between layers of waxed paper and heavy books.

It also got me thinking, and I started looking into flower presses, that were small enough for hikers to take along in their backpacks.  I am still him-hawing that purchase.  They are small, and after measuring the wild violet leaves I pressed, I am not sure they would be big enough, and worth the purchase.



Back to the creative bug that zapped my bonnet.  I decided to take the pressed wild violets, and leaves, and modge podge them to a cut piece of card stock.  The job of modge podge and delicate pressed flowers is a delicate job.  The flowers are very thin.

I did two layers, and allowed it to dry each time.  I also have been very (and I mean very slowly) slowly purging some craft supplies I still had in my utility room.  The catch all, holds everything there is no actual room for, in the house holding space.  I found plastic bookmark sleeves, I used to use for bookmarks I sold at the Farmer's Market (in addition to crocheted bookmarks).  They were not good sellers, hence the leftover supplies.

I cut the card stock to fit the bookmark sleeve.  I still need a tassle for it. 

Not that I really needed another bookmark, but it was fun, short creative crafting moment.  

It also got me thinking.  These would make nice random gifts to have on hand, for surprise fun mail, Christmas gifts for that friend or family member that loves to read, or if you have lots of time,  donate them to a free little library.

Creative Crafting ~ Pressed Flower Bookmark  ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart 

Comments

Betsy said…
The bookmark turned out so pretty and delicate. Violets are so pretty. I think your idea of having some on hand is a great one. I have always tried to have something small around.
Blessings,
Betsy
Betsy, thank you. I had a bit of fun making it too. I have about 6 more plastic sleeves, so I may keep them for future bookmarks to give away. Wild violet season is over, but there are other options for flowers that will press pretty flat.
Debby/From My Shasta Home, thank you.
Far Side of Fifty, thanks. It just seemed so easy to keep on hand too for gifting. Small, but useful and very pretty.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart