Skip to main content

This and That

 I was given a packet of information, as a thank you for my crocheted baby blanket donation (first time to donate to this organization).  I, honestly, did not expect anything in return.  They asked. I had the yarn. I donated.  

Inside the packet of information, was a chocolate bar, which is from an area business that makes it.  


A future fall possibility - "allergy" tincture with a combination of mullein, goldenrod and stinging nettle (all in one vs. individual).  Tinctures are best with fresh herbs, so this will be interesting. It all depends on locating all three plants.  

I'm doing more research on this mixture, as I cannot drink stinging nettle tea daily, all summer long, for seasonal allergies.  Nettle is a "drying" tea, as it also works as a diuretic.

My allergies are bothering my sinus pressure and eyes (itchy, red) this year. It's been years since this has been a problem too.



I started an oil infused with rosemary (I used organic jojoba oil for this one).  It is a "first time" for us to make this.  It's not only good for hair/scalp, but for a brain boost(cognitive) and other uses (according to what I am researching).  We'll find out if a dab on my forehead will spark some alertness when needed.

I have not had a hot minute to look for the fruit cake recipe.  We have been working on outdoor work, while we had a big break from the rain - mowing, digging up trees that the birds planted in flower beds, cleaning up a flower bed, cleaning off patio/porch, etc.  

I did a quick look-see and our wild violet season is about over, with the sporadic weather this year.  I am dehydrating more wild violet leaves for tea and hopefully future salve making.


This and That  ©  May 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

Comments

That as nice to get a thank you!
Far Side of Fifty, It was totally unexpected, and very nice of them. Apparently, they run out of baby blankets often, so I may be checking my stash.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart