Skip to main content

Pesto Dip ~ Catching Up (or trying to)

 Happy first day of May!  May is a very fun-packed month for us. If you were wondering, yes another day of rain here.  There is more coming, and our day started at 37°F this morning.  Brr.


Our area grocery store gave me a coupon for a free 16 oz. container of cottage cheese, so I whipped a cup of it in my small food processor.  I had pesto on hand, so I mixed in some of that, and more garlic.  Instant dip for veggies.  Yum.



I'm, ever so slowly, getting some book blanket granny squares crocheted.  I'm still behind, and this one needs ends sewn in.

I figured out why I am getting behind, as I'm getting way more books finished than I thought I would.  One, I am only crocheting while watching TV, and that time is limited lately.  

I've oddly become a book critic with all these books too.  In one book, the author failed to do proper research for, like boiling freshly laid eggs from chickens.  Anyone with chickens knows, you have to let them sit a few weeks, or they will not peel.  I mean, you can technically boil them right out of the coop, but the shell won't peel off.  One book ended poorly, and another contained way too many pages of text messages going from one to another.  Who wants to read 12 full pages of that in a book?  Plus, emails, and use of social media aps etc.  Not me.



I'm slowly going through cookbooks I borrowed from the library.  I literally got a kitchen cupboard renovation idea from this book.  Love it when things come to me when I'm not looking for them.  I found a garlic aioli recipe in this one too.  Oh, I found LOTS of new recipes to try, but it's going back to the library before it causes me more trouble, ha ha ha!

I saw where one library posted cookbook recipe reviews online, to promote and share books they have in the library.  Thought it was a neat idea anyway.

Comments

I answered you on my blog - the platform is Substack. Check it out.
I think becoming a book reviewer, even if accidentally, is a good thing.
I like hearing what others thought of a book and have actually read several I have learned of from other's blogs. And I really like seeing your "cover squares"
Anne in the kitchen, I took read books from reviews. I do like the idea of the cookbooks being reviewed and shared that idea with our area library too. Thanks. I'm working on a few more squares, so I will try to remember to get photos of them to share.
Jeanna said…
How clever to make the vege dip with your bonus cream cheese. Sounds delish. I imagine you must have quite a stack of granny squares. I have way too many cookbooks. I keep saying that I am going to make a recipe out of each one. Have I? Nope!
Jeanna, my stack of squares is not too big right now. The blanket is a join as you go project. I just got behind on it this spring.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart