Skip to main content

Spring Blooms

 

A few tulips are starting to bloom.  

Tulips are not the only spring life coming to life right now.  Although most people would yank these and toss them (as weeds), I see cleavers, purple dead nettle and some chickweed. 

The spring herbs and flowers are working my creative mind.  I've been dehydrating, infusing and such.  I'm also doing more reading (herbal books).  There is much to learn yet.  I am learning of two new salves I may make and try, and have been learning more with creative herbal seasoning mixes.



I keep forgetting to get a photo of the purple shell blanket progress, but it's the slowest going project yet. The photo is an earlier photo of the beginning of the blanket.

It's not time consuming because of the stitch, but because the weather outside is nicer (so much we can do now, and jobs to work on), and I am spending a lot less time with the crochet hook.  

The yarn was in the mass amount of yarn given to me last year.  I know the variegated yarn in this blanket is discontinued, so I dug through the stash she gave me, and came up with a rotation to use up 4 of the colors (using up all of the variegated, and darker purple I added in with a few rows).  I am using the shell stitch and a "J" hook for the blanket. It's a bit too large and thick for a baby blanket, so I will donate this one to an area assisted living facility per a request.  I'll get a finished photo as soon as it's finished.  


We are getting more 80 degree days, but we are also getting more rain.  Our tornado warning alarm went off due to an area spotted tornado last night.  We are getting more rain, which will put a damper in my herb collecting, garden clean up, and garden prep work.  

Spring Blooms ©  April 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart


Comments

How nice for you all who have had such a cold winter. In a way, those who live in regions of a true four season year, probably grasp the true spring feeling that poems were made from - more than those if us in warmer areas. Happy Spring Kristina! Enjoy.
Pretty tulips! Nice blanket I like doing the shell stitch.
Betsy said…
Flowers! They are beautiful and your blanket is coming along nicely too. I have to believe that you live close to me since our weather is so similar. It was. 89 yesterday and low 80's today. The humidity was so high yesterday that we ended up turning the A/C because I was sticking to the floor!
Blessings and hugs,
Betsy
Debby/My Shasta Home, we definitely see all seasons, but winter was very long and hard, and Spring is being a really wet one this year.
Far Side of Fifty, thanks. I like that stitch too.
Betsy, we had bad humidity the other day too. I had to keep house windows shut to keep it cooler and humid free. Crazy spring after a long, hard winter.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart