Skip to main content

Mrs. Bird

 

After a long, but productive day in the garden, I retreated to the front porch for some "rest" time and to enjoy a few minutes of reading a book.  I was being harassed by a very small bird.  I am not sure what it is, but maybe a wren.  It was squawking and carrying on at me like I was in her territory.  I kept looking at her and, of course, talking to her.  She flew off, and I had peace on the porch again.  

The next morning, I went to watering all of the hanging flower plants around the front porch.  Guess who has a nest (again) in one of our hanging pots?  Ha!  It's built interestingly safe from my watering too.  The top is covered and the entrance is low and on the side.  I used my phone to capture a photo of what's inside.  

Hopefully, Mrs. Bird will be copasetic and share the porch with me, without squawking on and on in the evenings.  The strangest part, it's the flower basket that is closest to the sidewalk and the front door, where traffic is in and out daily.  It's possible that Mrs. Bird and I will have a lot of conversations.

Funny story.  Mom and I used to talk all the time about wrens, and how beautiful their song was.  I would always get them to nest nearby, and Mom was jealous trying to attract them at her house in the city.  I stopped hanging houses up, but we do have a new one to install this year.  I'll have to keep an eye out and capture a photo and see for sure if it is a wren or a house finch.

The color of the egg (best I can see in the photo) suggests it's a Mrs. Bird wren.

Mrs. Bird  ©  June 2025 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

Comments

Leigh said…
Wrens are amazing in where they choose to put nests. We have found them in the most curious spots. I hope Mrs. Bird will allow you to sit on your own porch, but I suspect you'll still get fussed at for it.
Leigh, we do try and put bird houses out for them, but I totally forgot this year. I guess Mrs. Bird found one anyway, ha ha ha!
R's Rue said…
That is so sweet
Betsy said…
How fun. I love the nesting period in the spring.
Blessings,
Betsy
R's Rue, I am shocked, because I never saw her building the nest and I have been to the porch area almost daily. Crazy. And a sneaky bird.
Betsy, I will be listening for that baby soon. I'm just surprised that she was so sneaky and got the nest built without me seeing it.
Wrens are cute little birds but they tend to build close to people. I have had them often in a hanging basket.
Right now the only territorial birds we have are mockingbirds who raise about 3 different broods a season. They do not like me anywhere in the front yard, but are just flapping around and not dive bombing yet.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart