Skip to main content

. . . from the handiwork journal

The living room looked like it threw up a bunch of yarn, so I then realized I needed to get busy on some blankets to donate.  

Yarn has been put away and the living room is back to being the living room, ha ha!


I dug out my crochet/knit journal, and started to write down the yarn brands and colors for my current projects.  I should have been doing this years ago, but it's getting done (so I can repeat one if I would like to).



. . .lap afghan started (to donate to a charity, senior center or other).


. . .a set of pot holders in progress (my on-the-go travel project).  I am seeking out places to donate it to, and it may go to the Senior Center Bingo (for a prize).  There is also another woman I know who collects items for women leaving battered life situations, and starting over with a new home.





Not my handiwork, but some we saw for sale.....
Oddly, anyone who doesn't crochet or knows their products, would not know that these were made with acrylic yarn.  They were being sold as pot holder sets for $10.00.  Anything hot will melt acrylic yarn, so these are not good for anything but a doily.  Even cup/mug coasters should be 100% cotton, as well as any type of pot holder/hot pad.  Just sharing some information.  I thought it was a tourist trap item, trying to sell as "Amish made" and such. 

Comments

Leigh said…
Donating projects is a great idea. I should look around to find a place or two to do that too. Handwork is relaxing at the end of the day while listening to an audio book.

Excellent point about acrylic yarn for hot pads and coasters.
Leigh, I loved selling my handiwork at once a year craft shows, but people in our area do not buy it, nor appreciate it anymore. We are not a tourist area. I tried selling at stores, and then they stopped operating or other reasons. I am using up yarn from my craft show days and donating the blankets. I have yet to borrow an audio book, but it's not off the possibility list yet.
I wouldn’t have known that about acrylic yarn. I really like that lap blanket. Love the color.
One of these days, I’d like to settle down some, so I could crochet. I used to back in my teens and 20’s. Then with life and babies, I had no time. I have all my mom’s needles and old vintage crochet magazines. She crocheted everything.
When Mom was alive she would crochet pot holders, not only using cotton yarn, but she only thick cotton yarn. They are the best pot holders ever and I am thrilled I have enough of them to last for the rest of my life. I can’t imagine trying to sell cute but worthless pot holders
Debby@My Shasta Home, my Grandmother on my Dad's side crocheted, and I still have pot holders from her, but have passed the larger blankets on to my kids. I do have a half done two-sided blanket my Mom started that I inherited, but I'm concerned the yarn is too old. Some day I will see if I can even finish it.
Anne in the Kitchen, it is such a gift to get those handmade items from our parents and grandparents. I created my own pattern with the inspiration of my Aunt (my Mom's sister). It makes me smile each time I make a set. She was just like Mom, and was always such a positive person in my life.
Far Side of Fifty, thank you.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart