Skip to main content

41 weeks until Christmas ~ Christmas Shop and Other Fun News

 New Recipe Tried?  I had a recipe in the lineup to try, but after reading the "notes" I decided not to try it.  It was a Puppy Chow recipe, but used freshly made popcorn vs. store bought cereal.  It said to store it in the freezer and consume straight from the freezer.  Not really a winter go-to Christmas treat if you ask me.  The recipe stated the popcorn goes soft after you coat it, so hence we ditched the idea.



However, I purchased a trial size of Christmas Jam to try.  I know it won't taste like a home canned jam, but if we like the taste, I may look into any good recipes similar to it.

We do can a jelly at Christmas that everyone absolutely loves - it's a cinnamon/candy apple flavored jelly.  It's definitely not made with healthy ingredients (ha ha!), but I do not know one person who does not like it at Christmas.

The jelly is called Cinnamon Cider Jelly - Recipe on my blog.


I finally convinced my husband that we needed to visit the largest Christmas store in our state (open year round).  They decorate it beautifully, and we are told there is much more on display and for sale, the closer it gets to Christmas.  I purchased a few tree decorations, and plan to go back (love this store!).  The store has 3 floors.  Prices are rather high, so you have to really consider your purchases here.  By the way, we have been to the famous Bronner's in Michigan, and we like this store better.


I also purchased a new tree ornament at an antique store.  It was an inexpensive, whimsy purchase.  I do make many crocheted and handmade ornaments, but thought it was pretty glittery and would look nice on our tree.  If not, it will make a nice gift for someone (the husband is not too sure he likes it, ha ha).



I have purchased two more advent gifts (the ones above are small journals I snagged for $1 each) for the advent calendar.  I think I will plan to save paper bags to use for wrapping the gifts with.  I believe this puts me to 6 advent gifts per gift bag.  I'll have to get wrapping and re-count them.  I'm trying to stay with useable gifts.


Gulp!  Guess what I did ha ha ha ha!  Oh boy.  I bought a box of 18 Christmas books that I have not read.  Not sure I'll get them all read this year, but I'm stocked up for a while now.  Good grief, I should not be buying more books.  Cost of the entire box was $6.00, and some look brand new.  I thought for sure I had read the Clark book, but according to my book journal, I have not.

It has taken a few years for me to find my joy in the Christmas holiday since Mom passed away.  I found so much joy in planning her homemade gifts, or other gifts, and when she passed, my joy for the holidays passed with her.  I'm finally in place where I can enjoy it, and now crochet and donate lap afghans to those who need them or can use them, and that brings back my joy (Mom constantly got compliments on her lap afghans, and expressed that to me often).  

Thank you Anne in the Kitchen for inspiring me along the way to a fantastic, upcoming Christmas this year too.   

41 Weeks until Christmas ~ Christmas Shop and Other Fun News ©  March 2025 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart


Comments

Wow, more power to you! I cannot even think of Christmas. I totally get how you lost your joy of Christmas after your Mom passed. Same thing happened to me after my son passed and to be perfectly honest, while I try to make Christmas special for the family, I don’t have the same joy I once had and it’s been 22 years.
I like getting jam as gifts...especially raspberry jam:) You are getting in the Christmas spirit early:)
Katie C. said…
I’ve always been curious about the Christmas jam. Please let us know how it is. I got over a dozen free 1/4 pint jars recently and they would be great for gifts. I’ve seen quite a few Christmas jam recipes out there … I could also gift apple butter since I already can that every year.
Debby@My Shasta Home, the trip just happened to include the area of the Christmas Shop, and I wanted to see new places. I'm so glad we checked it out. The rest just fell into place. I'm sorry you have a difficult holiday too. I pray that your joy fully returns.
Far Side of Fifty, I have not canned raspberry jam yet. Our bushes do not produce enough, and the cost to buy them here is high during the season. I do plan to make it some day.
Katie C, I will update on the jam. It is a mix of berries and spices. You could also gift just applesauce in the jars, as well as a jam or butter. Or even homemade granola. I gifted that one year and it was well received.
Sarah Coller said…
Very smart to be thinking of Christmas early! Building that anticipation and planning a fun holiday so far in advance will help it be a very special time, I'm sure! Thank you for visiting my blog today!
Sarah Coller, thanks for stopping over to my blog too. I normally do not give Christmas one thought until about Halloween, but somehow, it's finding me this year ha ha!
I always start planning for Christmas early. I host a Christmas Club in my home monthly. We eat yummy things and make things for Christmas year round. It helps us get a head start.

Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage, that sounds fun. You should do posts with what you all do at your Christmas Club meetings each month. Sounds fun!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart