Skip to main content

. . .from the handiwork journal {Feb 28, 2025}

 The month of February typically is the month we tend to get the most snowfall.  Now we are thawing out, and having some flooding.  Heck, Wednesday we started out with everything frozen again, then snow showers, followed by a day of rain.

Yesterday we woke up to fog.  The weather is all over the map right now.  Just after dinner time last night, we had a rain shower.  


 Ribbit, Ribbit. 🐸  Sounds like Rip it, Rip it.  It's where the term "frogging" a crochet project comes from.  Ripping out stitches due to mistakes in previous rows.

I did more frogging this past week than I wish I had, ha ha!  I worked on the blue and white baby blanket, but kept making mistakes.  I am not sure if it was my husband talking to me, or if I was just having an "off" day. Ha.  If fact, I had to rip out a few rounds last night (again) due to an extra stitch I had made in a previous row.  I hope to get it finished soon.  


Update on the "book" blanket granny squares.  








.  .  .  finished more books, so more matching granny squares for my "book" blanket. These books were both on my shelf for several years (other than the very last book). The first book granny square is a repeat photo from last Monday's post, but these are all the newest ones made for the "book" blanket.  All of them have been crocheted to the blanket (other than the last three).

The "BAT" book was tucked into a drawer and forgotten about last year.  My Mom gave me book #1 and I read it about a year ago, and bought book 2 and 3.  She just handed me the book with a giggle, and told me I just had to read it.  Hence the kids book included in my reading this year.





. . .  some embellished paperclips, to use up the last bit of some crochet thread.  

Lastly. . . 

I found a new pacifier holder pattern, and I love it.  Funny story about finding it.  I went on a search, so I could make one to gift with the pink baby blanket soon. 

I can't exactly remember how I saw the one I liked. Maybe doing an image search?  Once I found the one I wanted, I checked Ravelry.  All of the finished ones were noted with a pamphlet or copy of Crochet World Magazine.  After extensive searching, I somehow found a book that it was published in, and wa-la, our library had a copy.


                         

My first crocheted pacifier holders - Pattern is from Crochet Crowd.  As you can see at the clip, it is rounded, and slides back and forth on the clip.  It's cute, but I was not really that happy with the final results.  I also had a hard time getting it to lay flat, even after blocking it.  



These crochet up very quickly, and they fit the clip much better than the last pattern I used from Crochet Crowd (using #3 crochet thread).  The pattern I used, uses #10 cotton crochet thread.  I already had the clips, because I had made a few using the last pattern.







Last month, I was him-hawing about getting rid of a bag of misc. beads.  I'm glad I did not.  I used some jewelry supplies, jewelry tools, spare beads, and created a way to attach a row counter to my project bag (or project) for traveling.  Talk about a happy gal.  No purchases needed.  The row counter actually came in a bag of odd assortments from a thrift store haul years ago.

Results?  I love this for road trips or just any long drive with time to do handiwork.  I still feel I will be using paper and pen any other time.


. . . from the handiwork journal  {Feb 28 2025} © February 2025 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart


Comments

Faith said…
We had thunder and lightning in NE Ohio last night, the rain came down fast, and flash froze. Nice crochet finished projects...I'm working on something with thread, I hope I finish it. I'm playing thread chicken and waiting for JoAnn to fill the order. So far, they are shipping everything in separate deliveries, the white crochet thread I ordered not shipped yet.
Betsy said…
All fun projects. I finished a baby blanket just before bed last night so will begin a new one today. Love that row counter progress keeper. It works great. And, of course, your book squares are perfect.
Blessings,
Betsy
R's Rue said…
You are so talented. I love your work. Happy weekend.
www.rsrue.blogspot.com
Faith, crazy weather for sure. I plan to go to JoAnn's to get yarn (sigh) . I will restock baby blanket yarn, but not sure if I want to buy much more. I hope to find one with what I need this weekend perhaps.
Betsy, thanks. I do need to get the blue baby blanket finished. At least I now have a pacifier holder to go with it. I may make a matching baby hat too, but need to find a pattern that uses the same yarn I'm using for the blanket.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart