Skip to main content

Tidbits . . . from the Handiwork Journal {Jan 15 , 2025}

It's been cold here lately.
Tuesday (1-14-25) we woke up to -3°F.   It snowed the entire day, making all of the roadways slick. Accidents, multiple car pile up's, and my husband stuck in traffic on his way home (due to another pile up).  I'm not kidding, it was that bad on the roads. I was out on them.  The doctor found no fractures, but I have an injured hamstring.  No wonder I have been in pain.  My husband missed his own doctor appt due to the accidents delaying him.

Today we woke up to a brisk -7°F, and we are in for a really cold snap next week.  Like below -20 or something.  I had the delight to watch a herd of deer this morning, and will post those photos in another post. 

We had a front porch visitor.  A raccoon. 


 It's been fun with the snow on the ground lately. I can track the animals so easily.  There are rabbit prints and deer prints all around the chicken coop, and all over the property.  I see the fat squirrel often, and now we also have kitty cat tracks that lead to every door of the house. I actually saw the cat again Monday morning.  It has been bedding down in one of our barns, according to the tracks in the snow.



On the handiwork front . . .
It may look like a lot, but it is winter, and the weather is too cold to do much of anything outside.


. . . finished three jar openers, using up some red thread, but I now have just small bits left from two.  I'll do some research on what I can use it up with. 
 
Any suggestions?  Size 3 crochet thread. Not much left on them.  I looked at 32 pages of patterns on Ravelry.  It is not a thread that would work for scrap dishcloths either.  Mini hearts, but for what?  Earrings are not well accepted as gifts. I made my Mom a pair for Christmas one year, and she never wore them.  Maybe donate it?  I may try and come up with a small Christmas ornament to donate to nursing homes etc.




. . . made a few "sunshine" Christmas tree ornaments to use up some yellow cotton I had in my stash.  These will be donated.  Would you stiffen these?  They are #4 worsted weight cotton.  If you would, what would you use to stiffen them?


. . .blocking more crocheted baby washcloths, and using up some discontinued 2 ply cotton thread.  When the thread is gone, these will be the last of the last of these.  



. . .first granny square for my 2025 creative project (watch for a post on this soon!)  I shared this granny square earlier.


. . . started another lap afghan.  The colors were inspired by the latest granny square, and uses up some more stash yarn.  




. . .started another baby blanket in blue and white.  We have someone expecting, so I'm making sure I have a variety of color options to gift.  Note:  After I starting drafting this post, I found out she is having a girl now, so there is no rush on this one.




. . . started a knitted dishcloth.  These are great gifts, host/hostess gifts, house warming gifts, and to use myself.


On the new purchase front . . .

I wanted crochet stitch minders, to help remind me what hook size I was using on projects like the granny square project.  I went online and found exactly what I wanted, but it was over $30 with shipping.  

I settled for these "knitting" markers, but will be writing the crochet letter hook size on the opposite side.  Cost?  $4.98 total cost.  I could make my own, but this will do the job.  The numbers are small and hard to read, so I'll use a marker to go over them.  It will work for now anyway.  

I could have also used letter beads slipped onto a safety pin, but guess what??  I donated those letter beads a few years ago, ha ha!  Anyway, I wanted the letter of the hook and the size on the markers, because for some reason some newer hooks have not been the same coordinates.  For example, I found an "I" hook to have other size numbers on them vs. the size 5.50mm.

By the way, I went to our nearest JoAnn Fabrics store, and they did not have any type of "hook" minders for projects.  I was surprised.  Also, I only had the time to check at Meijer, but to buy new "letter" beads it would cost $4.99 plus tax.  If you make your own hook size minders to remind you of your hook size on patterns, let me know.

Comments

Betsy said…
We're definitely into the cold days of winter aren't we. We were below 0 yesterday but today are supposed to hit the 30's.
You sure have a lot of projects on the go. I get overwhelmed if I have more than a couple of projects at one time. I'm definitely a production crafter more than a process one. The jar openers are great and very practical. I used scraps of red to make heart ornaments for Valentines day. There is a Scandinavian Heart pattern by my late friend, Teresa Kasner that used to be on Ravelry for free. I'm not sure if it's still there or not.
Enjoy your crafting time and be careful on the roads.
Blessings,
Betsy
Faith said…
Enjoyed all the different footprints. I had some 3 weight cotton crochet thread which I bought by accident years ago, I have a bag going to goodwill, and they are in it. The afghan squares I'm working on is a slow go. I for some reason cannot stay focused and loose track of where I am within the row, my mind is wondering and oh my.....keep putting it down and then I try again...just not focusing this week at all. Beautifully sunny and quite refreshing here in NE Ohio today.
Betsy, I do not normally have this many projects, but some I started a while back and forgot about them. Some started as on-the-go projects too. I hope to get them done soon. I will look into that heart pattern.
Faith, I may donate some too. It is sunny here today thankfully. The snow and ice on the roads yesterday caused so many accidents. It was terrible to drive on.
Sandi said…
You're so talented. I really like the turquoise blue one.

20 below? Do you live at the North Pole? 😄
Nice projects , lots to keep you busy:)
Sandi, thank you. Ha ha! I heard that somewhere out by North Dakota it could be -50 degrees next week. I sure hope they are wrong. Brrr!
Far Side of Fifty, thank you.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart