Skip to main content

Homemade Gift Ideas ~ Food Gifts

 








I borrowed this book from the library recently, and it does contain another version of a Chicken soup starter in a jar recipe.  I requires dried celery, but I have not seen that in our stores (other than celery salt).  I could dehydrate celery, but just a heads up on that ingredient.


(photo from google)


I've been borrowing books from the library regarding homemade gift ideas (just a hobby of mine this time of year), and I came across this online the other day (photo from google).  Just another idea to share.

If anyone has a homemade coffee mix with peppermint and mocha, please do share.

My husband is getting a laugh about my search for organic/non-gmo candy canes.  I had a box of them on Amazon in my cart, then got busy with breakfast, and when I went back to place my order - bam!  Out of stock.  Ha ha!  Jokes on me I guess.

I'm finding it very hard to find organic/non-gmo corn syrup this season.  Our big grocery store carried it last year, but this year nothing.  I may change what I bake and make this holiday season, per what I can find.  I guess we'll see first, if I get my kitchen and living room back in time.  Our hired help was a no-show.  I may need to paint myself, and I do not want to.

It's been raining here the past few days.  No sunshine whatsoever.  Dark and dreary.  I just put on some up-beat music and get to work. 


Comments

Betsy said…
I applaud your committment to using organic non gmo ingredients. I've never paid much attention to those things. I know. Bad me. Just never thought about it until recently and now I guess the damage has been done.
Blessings
Betsy
I bought organic corn syrup from Amazon several years ago. I did have to buy 6 bottles but used it for years. I am out now so it is time to reorder.
Betsy, I first started paying attention, when I saw that they add "soy" to a can of any cheaper brand of canned tuna. Soy is a sprayed crop, so I did some research.
Anne in the kitchen, same here. I had to buy 6 bottles. We'll see what I can find. I use it to make homemade teriyaki sauce and other items.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart