Skip to main content

This and That ~ Roasted Spaghetti Squash Seeds


 

I enjoyed yet another spectacular sunrise, and this particular day the temperture got up to 80°F.  I don't remember November ever getting that warm before.

I'm am enjoying the "down" time here lately too.  I spent more time searching the local library catalog, and have ordered a few books via their interloan borrowing system.


I even have had some "me" time, and finished another lap afghan.  It is the right width at the bottom.  It looks weird due to the angle I was holding the camera.  Anyway, another one done.



I cook from scratch, so most days here involve some sort of  kitchen duty, so I relish leftover days.  I tried a new recipe for pumpkin oat pancakes.  The chickens are still on hiatus, so I switch to oatmeal bakes, steel cut oats, pancakes, waffles, or anything using less eggs.  Bacon is very expensive now, so we have been swapping it with Canadian bacon.


(one of the recipes - Tahini Date cookies, recipe from Thrive Market)



I had a day with dates, and made us two recipes to enjoy for the week.  These medjool dates are also getting expensive, but are so healthy.




I also did something new this year - roasted spaghetti squash seeds (waste nothing).  The chickens got their fair share, but we are enjoying these for the first time.  We typically only roast the pumpkin seeds.

We woke up to rain this morning.  Humidity is 86%.  I'm also taking care of my over stressed husband, who woke up abruptly sick today (people at his work place are sick).  His temperature was 104.2° so he's being cared for, and sipping some feverfew tea.  I'm hoping he can keep it down.  

The up and down weather can play a part in fall sicknesses unfortunately.  It's another warm day here, but there may be some homemade chicken and rice soup, or chicken and noodle soup getting made.

I thought I shared a recipe for a soup starter in a jar gift type recipe, but cannot find it.  I think it was for a chicken and rice soup starter.  I'll be looking around for that, as it sounds like it may be useful.


Comments

Betsy said…
Oh my goodness! That is a really high temperature. I hope he feels better very soon. So much "stuff" is going around right now. The afghan is beautiful. The ripple pattern always reminds me of my grandma. It the first thing she ever taught me to make. A ripple blanket for my baby dolls when I was 7. Obviously she didn't believe in starting easy
Blessings and hugs,
Betsy
Leigh said…
I will definitely be interested in the jarred soup starter recipe. Our Christmas budget is mighty slim this year, but this is the kind of thing people will appreciate (as opposed to another knick-knack to dust, lol).

I pray your husband is better. No fun being sick any time of year.

Lovely to see you finishing another afghan. It's always such a treat to have some "me" time.
Betsy, yes, a very high temperature and out of no where. I'll have an update soon. Yes, the ripple requires counting, but for some reason it's my most go-to pattern to use up a variety of yarn colors (or scraps of every color).
Leigh, I am on the hunt for the recipe. I thought for sure it was in my "Christmas" binder where I keep gift ideas. I will share it once I find it. I'll have an update on my husband soon. Thanks, it's nice to finish a project around here. It will most likely be donated to a senior center or adult facility.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart