Skip to main content

Homemade Hair Detangler ~ Update



 In the beginning of February (2024), I made homemade hair detangler (recipe is online with Mommypotamus).  I was quite impressed when I brewed the tea for this on the first batch.  It uses marshmallow root for the tea making part, and it creates a wonderful "conditioner" spray for the hair (mucilage properties).

My review?  It takes about as much effort to comb out my hair with homemade detangler vs. store bought (chemical free/no preservatives).

I have new hair growth underneath the back hair, and very slightly around the brow area.  It is said that the marshmallow root can repair damaged hair and encourage new, healthy hair growth.

I absolutely love my hair after using it, and I letting it dry as much as possible without a hair dryer.  My hair is softer, feels better, and looks so much better.  My scalp feels better as well.

The only draw back I see, is that by storing it in the refrigerator, the oils (jojoba and any essential oils if you add them) in this will harden.  I have to take it out of the refrigerator, with enough time to "thaw" it all, prior to using it.

Otherwise, when you get down to the bottom of the spray bottle, you are left with mostly oils and it will definitely make your hair look oily.  By this I mean, if you use it daily, and use it right out of the fridge, before the oils can warm up to a total liquid spray.

Also, I drape a towel around my next when I spray this on, so that the "tea" does not stain any of my clothing.  So far it has not, but to be sure, I do this as well.

Overall, I will continue to use it, and see how much new hair growth, and repaired hair I get.  My daughter, the hair stylist, said it has to be much healthier for my hair vs. store bought.

If I remember, I will try and update in maybe 6 months of use.  It is very easy to make, and use.  The first batch I added lavender essential oil, but the next batch is without any essential oils (to see if it really made a difference).

Homemade Hair Detangler ~ Update  © Feb 2024 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

Comments

Leigh said…
Sounds fantastic! I would love a link to her recipe.
Leigh, her recipe is here: https://mommypotamus.com/3-homemade-hair-detangler-recipes/
I'll link it in the post above

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart