Skip to main content

Sour Cream Softies ~ A Family Christmas Tradition

 I thought for sure, that I had posted the recipe for these cookies, but so far I have not located it on my blog.  So...

Here is the recipe for Sour Cream Softies, a traditional Christmas cookie, that was passed down from my Mom.

I had no idea where the recipe came from prior to my Mom, but she loved to sit and listen to a radio station, where recipes were shared (definitely a thing in the past that is not done today on the radio). It is possible she obtained it from the radio station, but I am not for certain.

Sour Cream Softies

3 cups sifted all purpose flour (we use organic)

1 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. baking powder

1/2 tsp. baking soda

1/2 c. butter softened (we use organic)

1 1/2 c. sugar

2 eggs (we use farm fresh)

1 tsp. vanilla (I made this homemade)

1 cup (8 oz) sour cream (organic)


Measure flour, salt baking powder, and soda into a sifter.  Cream butter with sugar until well blended.  Beat in eggs and vanilla.  Sift in flour mixture, alternating with sour cream.  Drop by teaspoonful on parchment paper lined baking sheets (spread each teaspoonful out a bit).  Sprinkle with red/green sugar sprinkles.  Bake at 400°F for 12 minutes.  Cool on wire racks.  Store in an airtight container.

I never got the chance to make homemade sour cream, when we had Lamancha dairy goats.


Sour Cream Softies ~ A Family Christmas Tradition © Dec 2023 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart