Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Tuesday, November 21, 2023

Handiwork ~ Baby Washcloths ~ Crochet

 





Top yarn is 4 ply cotton yarn, the bottom is the Honeysuckle cotton yarn.



Tucked away in one of my yarn totes is yarn from a store closeout.  I think I bought it, thinking I was buying cotton yarn the thickness of a 4 yarn.  It is very thin cotton yarn, and about a thin 2 maybe?  the label doesn't even say what hook size to use or even the thickness.  It is USA made, and I think the company closed back around 2011.  I've had the yarn that long.

Not that I need another project right now, as we have so many going on, but I wanted to find a use of this yarn.  I'm trying very hard to get stuff made for the last craft show.

By the way, I was invited to another craft show, and once again the cost would be $50.00.  This particular show was $20.00 for a 2-table space the last time I participated.  Crazy high prices, unless you sell high priced items.  It just takes the "fun" out of fun.

Anyway, back to the subject of this post, which I apologize if it's boring.

Funny, how I can get hooked onto a new project.  I was moving my binder project to another area (for a winter snowy day project), and a pattern fell out.  It was for baby washcloths (crochet pattern).  I him-hawed, and left it sit on the end table.  Well, I had written the source of the pattern, and borrowed the library book again, just for fun.  



I had the pattern, but not the photo, so hence the book borrowing.  The color of the yarn (to me) was perfect for something "baby" so I gave it a whirl.  I figured 100% cotton was just right for a baby washcloth with the thin cotton yarn.


I think they are turning out nicely.  I used a "D" hook.  I have yet to try them myself, so I may be asking a friend to try them first, but I may have found a purpose for the yarn, and will make some up for gifting or donating.


I also have some cotton blend baby yarn I mistakenly ordered several years ago, and forgot to return.  I made a few washcloths with that too to try.  It's not 100% cotton, but I found a pattern online where they used the same blend for dishcloths.  I mean, if it's a "washcloth" you would not be re-using it, so I believe I found another way to use up another "oops" yarn purchase.


Just in case you crochet, this book has the pattern for the baby washcloths, and there are 3 patterns.  I have only made one so far.

Also, a pattern in this book.  I made these to sell at craft shows.  I am sold out, but it takes two strands of cotton at a time to make it.,

A cute and very easy pattern also in this book.  I made these one year for gifting.  They did not sell at all at the craft shows.  I tucked these in with other gifts. Sometimes the ribbon can be found at the dollar stores.

Sorry for the long post.  I never intended that, ha ha!  I have one person trying both washcloths with their baby.






4 comments:

Mother Em said...

Hey Kristina. Our daughter Philena sent you an email re mac-n-cheese. Check it out if you haven't already found one. In case I don't write again, have a relaxing, well deserved thankful Thanksgiving. Maryn in GA

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mother Em, thanks, I just read it. Looks good! With grandkids and other youngin's I like to have a good recipe to tote to get togethers. I love it too!

Leigh said...

The baby wash clothes are really nice. And not such a long post, since yarn always interests me! Those cotton yarns seem to vary a lot in actual size. I found some small balls of sugar-n-cream at the thrift store that are smaller than the yarn on the large cones. Makes it harder to mix and match yarns for projects, doesn't it?

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Leigh, yes it does! I have a tote full of the smaller balls. It doesn't help that they only made certain colors on the cone, and they have discontinued some colors on the cone now. The yarn I bought that is in the photo, was sort of an accident purchase. I thought I was buying the #4 cotton yarn, but it's about half that thickness, and the label doesn't even say what it is other than cotton (no hook mentioned either).