Skip to main content

The Pharmacy Door Story

 The back story to the pharmacy door:  My Dad was a pharmacist for a living.   The drug store also had a photo counter, cigar/cigarette counter with candy counter, a general store counter and items sold there, and an old time (what I called) fountain.  



(source:  Hometown Library)
If you look to back right upper corner, that is the pharmacy, with enclosed windows that were added later in the years.  If I remember correctly, the enclosure was added to lock it up, due to people breaking in and stealing from the store.  I can't recall if it was a business requirement, or because of the breaking and entering and stealing, but the enclosure make it possible to lock that area up.



At the "fountain"  there was a counter with stools and booths to sit at.  I grew up working behind that counter at nights and weekends.  I sometimes worked for the main, full time gal Carol that ran the fountain.  If my memory is correct, all of my siblings, at some point in their lives, also worked there.  I think my first pay was $2.25/hour.  I loved that job.



  Dad built this door for the entrance to pharmacy counter he worked behind in the drug store (before the glass windows and door enclosure was added).   He painted it, and when the store closed, he kept the door.  When he passed, it was found at his apartment I think?  I ended up with it, and had it for 2 years before figuring out what to do with it.  We talked about many ways to use it, and one suggestion was to decorate a barn with it ha ha!  I wanted a room pantry with this as the door (getting a kick out of the "pharmacy" painted on the door), and we considered it for other uses.

It's going to be a door for one coat cubbie, to replace a curtain, and keep the dust out.   A work in progress, but getting done.

Comments

Faith said…
Nice pictures and rememberances. Happy 4th.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart