Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Sunday, July 9, 2023

. . .from the handiwork journal


My recent attempts to soak in some porch time, have been short due to 90 degree days here lately.   The bugs are terrible, and I'm guessing from the recent rains we have had. 








 . . .the second doily for the living room.  I honestly forgot about this project.  It was in my on-the-go bag.  I need to get this finished.



. . .current status on the current large blanket.  It's too hot here to work on such a large project.





. . .finally finished this (top picture) dishcloth.  Started another one.  Finished that one.









I used the leftover yarn to crochet two hand sanitizer holders, and then used the very last of the yarn.....


...to make 4 granny square centers.  I have just a wee bit of yarn left.  


How this project started:  I was cleaning up the very last box of craft items in the living room.  I had a crocheted strawberry for a keychain for one daughter.  I went to the utility room (next room to get a complete extreme cleaning) to open a craft container to get a key ring for the strawberry, and saw 4 of these snap clasps (still in their packages).  

I think I bought the clasps about 5-6 years ago (or longer, as that Hobby Lobby closed).  Anyway, I went to my yarn stash boxes, and came up (took me about 5-6 trials) with a self made pattern, for a cuff bracelet.  Leave it to me to create a pattern with yarn that is discontinued ha ha!  I've had this crochet thread for many years as well.





. . . crocheted 4 cuff bracelets.  My husband was impressed.  Not just with the finished project, but that it used supplies I already had.  By the way, the clasps are not leather, they are faux leather, and can still be purchased at some craft stores.  They are almost double the price however, from when I purchased them.

I have plans for these already.  I would like to get one made with two more color I do not have.


. . .lap afghan on the crochet hook.  It's my current "on-the-go" project. Recognize the yarn?  Leftover small balls from my own recent blanket, the one that was ordered after that blanket, from Christmas ornaments, recent crochet hats, and from other projects.

The very small balls of yarn are then donated to the local school art teacher.  Do you have any suggestions for the smaller balls of leftover yarn?  They could be used to make granny squares I guess.


. . .sold this oversized hot pad (these are approx. 7 1/2 x 12 1/2 inches, made per the request of my Mom).  Funny story about this sale.  A long time friend from high school, messaged me a photo of an oversized dishcloth, and asked me to make her another (she was using it for a hot pad for 9 x 13 size dishes).  

I told her, that was not made by me, and I make double thick.  She was embarrassed that she never bought from me, but wanted my last one in my inventory.  Odd color I used, but she bought it.  I have had one more request, so I will be doing an inventory check on any cotton cone yarn I have.



I used to make them like this.  I have this one in my kitchen, and have used it almost daily for the last 13-13 years or more.  It's about 12 x 10 3/4 inches.  I may make a few more of these as well.  They are great for  9 x 9 dishes, cookie sheets, pizza pan, etc.  However this was my very first one, and it was single crochet.  I now have longer Afghan hooks.

. . .  I decided to donate all of these jars I made so many years ago.  I recycled jars and crafted them to fill with homemade granola for my side of the family (many, many years ago) for Christmas.   It just never happened.   These jars will find a new home.   



Question:  Where is the best place to buy a board for crocheted granny squares?  I may be doing a large blanket with granny squares next summer (maybe this summer).  I do not have one yet.



Like this one.  (source Walmart).  I am looking to get one large enough to have space for 4 stacks.  


4 comments:

Leigh said...

I love that first photo. I has all my favorite things: a porch, a cup of coffee, and a lovely variegated yarn on the needles. Of course, the viewer of a photo doesn't have to deal with the heat and the bugs!

I've never seen those cuff clasps before, pretty neat. Pity about the price now. With everything going up, there's no choice but to buy less.

All those projects are inspirational! I'm looking forward to being creative once again myself.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Leigh, I even put a fan on the porch, but the humidity was just too much most days. I am so terrible at being side tracked when I purge craft supplies. I hope I can restrain myself while cleaning our large utility room. Thank you! I try to work on smaller gift ideas when it's summer due to the heat. Canning season will be upon me sooner than later. My hot peppers and bell peppers are doing great this year.

Mrs. Laura Lane said...

Hello! I do apologize, I haven't been by in awhile. I was wondering if you can help me. My Grandmother's Dishcloths always turn out wonky. Yours look square. Can you direct me to a pattern or give me directions to make one like yours please?

Also, I love all the thrifty things you're doing. I can relate to having patterns from when I had preschoolers! I need to go through things again!

I hope you have a wonderful, productive week. I'm attempting to knit a sock in a week as part of an Instagram challenge. It's not looking good, but I'm going to keep trying. I'll have more done that I had when I started!
Stitch by stitch!

Be blessed,
Laura Lane
Harvest Lane Cottage

P.S. Will you please email me or drop by my blog with your response? I don't see a box where I can subscribe to your comments.
Thanks so much!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mrs. Laura Lane, I will see what I can do. Word on my computer does not work any longer, and that is where I stored that pattern, so it will not print. I will see what I can do. Thanks.