Skip to main content

Bad Air ~ Smoke Haze

 





At 7am yesterday, we were at an air quality of 174.  If you see the chart below, that put us in the "red" zone (unhealthy).  Very close to the "very unhealthy" level on the chart.  So there was no outdoor work at all.  Areas within in hour from us were in the 300's - hazardous, stay indoors at all times.



We've been praying for good winds to change direction and give us a break.  I was miserable all day, and the numbers reached to 204 (purple level) according to our local health department.  I had to run to the store, and the library ( needed their fax service).



Speaking of library.  I walked into our little library for the first time since Feb. of 2020.  It's been that long since I've been to our library.

This morning we did a complete turn with the air quality.  When I look outside, I do not see any haze at all, and the air quality number is a healthy low of 28.  However, today there will be more rain.  I am not sure how much time I will get in the garden, if any, but glad the air is clear again.

Comments

Faith said…
not here we are at 174, air is heavy with smoke and humidity.
Faith, I hope you get a break soon. It was miserable here yesterday. I am so glad to get time in the garden today. Much needed.
Leigh said…
Good air = prayers answered! I hope it stays that way for you.
Leigh, it was so so nice to be able to go outside and literally take a breath of fresh air for once. I got a solid 2 1/2 hours work done in the garden too.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart