Skip to main content

Happy Homemaker Monday

 Sunday I had plans to do some long distance errands, but decided to do them another day.  It was predicted to storm all day, and go figure, it did not.

I, however, cleaned up the kitchen, sorted cookbooks for donation, filled another box for Daughter K, caught up on laundry, and filled one box for donation.  I finally filled a tote with 50/50 vinegar/water to soak an old cast iron pan I was given.






I already have a few cast iron pans, but no one wanted to bother with restoring it, so it ended up with me.  It's always nice to have an extra pan in case we need to cook over a campfire too.  You never know with what's happening in our world right now.






Today I am joining Sandra at Diary of a Stay at Home Mom.  I will link up when she posts.


The weather . . .
85°F/65°F, possible rain


As I look outside my window . . .
It's foggy.


Right now I am . . . 
Trying to figure out the plan for the day due to more rain.


Thinking and pondering . . .
Where the heck am I going to store that cast iron pan?  My computer area needs a new mug rug.   We need a getaway soon.  Camper still needs water lines checked.  


How I am feeling . . .
Although not ready to take on a Monday, I had a nice weekend.  Daughter K visited Saturday, and Daughter E had a sleep over with our grand daughter A and both came to visit me Sunday.

My husband is on another whacky schedule this week.  We will both be glad when it's over with.  He's working double shifts - 16 hour days now.


On the breakfast plate . . .
Coffee, part of a giant cinnamon roll Daughter E brought us.



On my reading pile . . .
Do bills count? Ha ha!  The mail?


On my TV . . .
Honestly, whatever looks interesting.


On the menu . . .
-pork chops, zucchini/corn saute
-chicken, brussel sprouts, carrots
-leftovers


Looking around the house . . .
The kitchen island is finally cleaned off, but the table needs a complete tidying up job.  Living room is slowing getting emptied.  Kitchen still needs a piece put back up over the sink area, and one blind installed.


The to-do list . . .
-check garden
-freeze green beans
-paint the last of the bathroom trim
-put away dishes
-label and store the peach jam
-clean off kitchen table


From the camera . . .



Prayers/Devotional . . .
-I can't find my devotional right now.  I'm slowly getting my computer/bill paying station back in order.  It's probably in the office yet.  







Comments

Katie C. said…
Why do you soak the cast iron in vinegar? Never heard that one before, just scrubbing with salt to remove the rust?

I don’t know how you husband can work the hours that he does without a break. It must be awfully hard on both of you.

If you want to try a new recipe, I really like Skinny Taste’s Ground Turkey Skillet with Zucchini, Corn, Black Beans and Tomato. You could add some cilantro rice on the side too. 😋
Sandra said…
I have two cast iron pans that were my mother in law's that desperately need restoring. I have no clue how to, can you tell me step by step? I really would appreciate it.

I keep my cast iron skillets in my oven when not in use.

Hope you have a blessed week, and enjoy that rain. Please send it my way if you can, we need it. lol

Blessings,
Sandra
xoxoxo
Katie C, I will do a post on how I re-stored the cast iron, and thank you for the recipe idea.

Sandra, I'll get a post up on how I re-stored the pan.
Jodi said…
I need to clean off my cast iron pan and start using it more. Foggy mornings are the best if you don't have to go out and drive in them! Have a great week!
Jodi, yes, foggy mornings are nice when I don't have to go anywhere.
Luludou said…
also wondering about the vinegar / water tip.
So long hours for your husband!

Have a great week
Luludou, check the next day post. I explained how I re-seasoned my pan

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart