Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Thursday, December 9, 2021

Pumpkin Bread

I seem to be spending the first half of my day in the kitchen.  I threw together a zucchini breakfast bake and topped it with freshly grated parmesan cheese.  There is spinach in it too.  I didn't use a recipe.  I just tossed some things together.

I had some thawed pumpkin to use up, and got out my old trusty cookbook. Wow!  I haven't made pumpkin bread in years, and it called for 3 cups of sugar.  That is a lot of sugar for one loaf.  

I went online of course and found one that was a low-sugar recipe.  I didn't have white whole wheat flour, but adjusted to what I had on hand.

I totally forgot to take a photo of it, but it was delicious.  I swapped out the coconut oil for canola.  I just didn't see it staying in a liquid form after adding cold milk and cold pumpkin puree.  It turned out good and my pumpkin puree didn't go to waste. Recipe is called Healthy Pumpkin Bread from Cookie and Kate.

Daughter E is now volunteering for the Humane Society and a charity that gives out food to those in need.  So proud of her.

What is your go-to, crowd pleasing stove top made vegetable?  Not crock pot, but stove-top?  My oven will be busy with baked chicken, so I'm trying to come up with something other than green beans, and nothing with potatoes.  I could steam broccoli, but not everyone likes broccoli.  Hm.  I found a recipe for creamy mashed cauliflower that sounds pretty good too.

2 comments:

Carol said...

We love broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, and many other vegetables. With baked chicken, I would possible sauté some veggies like squash, zucchini, and mushrooms together in some butter.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Carol, thanks for the ideas! Yum!