Skip to main content

Canning Beets

Yesterday my kitchen had the wonderful aroma of beets boiling.  



My wonderful husband brought home some organic beets so I canned them.  Mmmm!  I'm so blessed to add more to the pantry this winter.  Considering how the world is going, it's nice to have more preparations for our meals.

Yesterday morning the dogs started barking at a particular door in the house.  We all assumed it was raccoons eating the cat food.  Not so.

It was around 5am.  Daughter K beat me to the door and took her dogs out.  Had I been more awake, I would have gotten my husband up.  Daughter K said she could hear something out near the woods but could not figure out what it was.

Later when daylight arrived, and after canning beets, I went out to the camper (which sits under a pole light all night) to get the last of the items to winterize it.

I found the door wide open and lock still in lock position.  Someone (or more than one) broke into our camper, but the dogs barking ran them off.  Nothing was taken.  I alerted my husband considering where we live and anyone would be seen from the road.  These people had to have come out from the woods (parking down the road or up the road).

I guess it's time to take precautions anymore.  I am also highly considering to get ourselves a dog when Daughter K moves out.  Those dogs sure let me know when someone or something is outside.

Comments

Rebecca Knox said…
I love beets and yours look so pretty in the jar. Sorry to hear that someone broke into your camper, but am thankful that the dogs woke you up and scared them off. Sounds like it's time to put up some cameras and, yes, a good guard dog is definitely a plus. Blessings for a great day!
Thank you Rebecca, we plan to move the camper from where it's at, and put a cover over it, but it may also be put into a barn if we have time before winter (covered in there as well).
Tracy dixon said…
We have trail cameras in certain areas on our property. If they steal something and you have no evidence for identification then you've just lost what they have stolen. If you have evidence, it might be easier to find them.
We had someone stealing our deer cameras one year on a hunting lease. He missed a camera. We caught him with on the camera that he missed. Took it to the police station and they came back out with us to search his home. We got all our cameras back.
Tracy, thanks. We do have one trail camera, but the camper will be moved soon as well.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart