Skip to main content

Black eyed Pea Casserole and a year of luck?

 

January 1st was a day to catch back up on things.  Laundry was caught up, Hubby finished replacing the brakes on the truck, I mended a shirt, and cleaned up "party central" in the kitchen. 

We started the new year by trying a new recipe.  Had to laugh though.  It was a crock pot recipe, and all day I thought it was not.  I had to make a few changes and wha-la, black eyed pea casserole baked in the oven.  It tasted good too.  Original recipe is online with Food.com.  I used fire roasted tomatoes and added my own jalapeno's that I froze (and cooked along with the ground beef and onions first).  Healthy and delicious.  Will it bring us good luck all year?  I guess we'll find out.  I've never been one to believe in such things, but after last year it was worth a try.

My new 2021 planner is being filled up with plans of travel, and a bright shining year of possibilities.  The weather was absolutely miserable yesterday with pouring down rain, dreary, cold, and lots of ice.  It was a perfect day to set out some plans for entire year.  Yeah, I know we may have to cancel some, but I am prepared (2020 gave us experience for sure).

January for starters will be my time to get back on track with regular exercise.  Funny how it really is the month they over advertise it too, but I'm finally out of my "funk" after Dad passed.  However, I cannot (I repeat cannot) watch a funeral on TV (When Calls the Heart) without bawling.

I know we will be busy this year regardless, with a long list of home renovations, painting, coop building etc.  I still have a root cellar and green house on the list.  Root celler is iffy as we my have limestone and cannot dig.  It's been on the wish list forever, but things happen.  Weather happens.  Work happens and so forth.  I'm still looking forward to whatever we do accomplish.

I have a new journal to start the year off with too.  You all know I have a journal for just about everything.  It's a gratitude journal, but it involves doodling, and stickers and a whole lot of fun.  I bought each of the girls one too.  Each week involves a random act of kindness too.





Comments

mamasmercantile said…
All your plans sound wonderful. I wish you every success and every blessing for the new year.
Cockeyed Jo said…
It's been almost 8 years since my husband's passing and I still tear up with death scenes on television.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart