Skip to main content

This and That

My new Christmas bed quilt.  I have never done this for the holidays, so when my husband sees it, he's going to shake his head, ha ha!  Not a great day for drying outside, but better than hiking up the electric bill.  It's not handmade sadly.  Quilting is not something I have yet to teach myself.  

Things have just gone a bit wonky this week.  One day I put my shirt on backwards, one daughter went to work and forgot her purse, every time we try to make plans to cut wood Mother Nature stops us, one daughter's package is delayed in the mail, ....can't wait until next week.  I think we are all a bit stressed with the virus, lockdown, car repair expenses, election etc. going on this year.

We had another entire day of rain.  Like boat loads.  I need to wash several rugs, but the weather is just crazy for October.  I'm thrilled it's filling up the well though.

I emailed the home goods store (sells handmade items).  No answer back.  I was talking to my husband, and he feels I should just advertise on my blog/social media and hold off shows for next year.  I plan on going in to talk to them to ask about their booth rental rate though.   Just to know if it's even an option.

If you didn't see it (or follow it), MRH blog has a post for how to make your own homemade pectin.  I just wish they'd have a print friendly form of the article, but anyway for those looking for more self-sufficient ways to do things.  I've never tried it, but I may if pectin is in a shortage.  The last pectin (liquid) I bought, I brought home to find out that it expired last month.  A grocery store that is notorious for not fronting the shelves and selling expired foods this year.  Check your dates before buying anymore.

Comments

Faith said…
Good Morning Kristina. Your not having any Halloween parties are you? Gov. DoNothing says no, and our Thanksgiving & Christmas will be different to. Says who? I updated so if you click on the link it should show Cosmopolitan Cornbread You tube, and you can look for the Apron pattern and all her other videos.
Cherie said…
I made rosehip syrup this year and it set like jelly in the jar. I had to melt it all down and add loads of liquid to turn it into a syrup. It might be useful to make some rosehip syrup to add to preserving pan if you can't get pectin when you are making jam
My font changed again! Darn it. Faith, no parties here. We typically don't. Years back we let the girls have a Halloween sleepover. They are older now. I don't host Halloween parties either. Not sure what we'll be doing for the other Holidays yet. I may not even get to have a family get together with my Mom and family either. She's in her 80's. I'll goggle the apron. thanks.
Cherie, thanks. Rosehip syrup sounds good too. I may have to make some too.
Rebecca Knox said…
What a beautiful quilt! Very nice! We've had those wonky days (weeks) here and they always feel so weird...like everything's all in a jumble. Maybe next week will be better. We've had a lot of rain here, too, but the sun came out yesterday and is shining now. It's supposed to be really nice the next 10 days. I hope so! Have a great Friday and a lovely weekend! Blessings! :)
Bovey Belle said…
I made home made pectin last year using very tart apples. It worked well. I will try and find the recipe for you (only trouble is I have TOO many cookery books!)
Lady Locust said…
I'm actually looking forward to the holidays this year so your quilt is gorgeous to me:-) I think everyone has a little 2020 fatigue, myself included.
Thank you Rebecca, snow is expected this weekend, but down the road we may have nicer weather.
Bovey, I'm the same way with cook books. I have a terrible habit of printing off news ones to try from the internet too.
Lady Locust, I love Christmas. Thanks, the quilt should put a smile on my husband's face when he sees it.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart