Skip to main content

March Reading Challenge ~ Fog ~ New Recipe!

I picked a new author to read for March (although I started it last month).  She has a series of books, so I started with her first one.  I borrowed this from the library, but ended up ordering a copy of it.


Mum's the Word, by Kate Collins (Flower Shop Series)

Speaking of books.  TLC book tour emailed me wanting me to read a book, and post a review on my blog.  The book looks interesting, but seriously, my time in March is limited this year.  Has anyone else gotten these emails?  

Nothing much going on considering it's winter and I'm stuck home.  I did manage to make a bucket of homemade laundry detergent amongst regular chores.

We have major fog this morning, but the weather is a bit warmer.  School has a 2 hour delay, and there is hardly any traffic on the country highway of ours.  It's nice to have a quiet morning.  The other night a plane went over us at 3am and woke us up (flying that low).


I almost forgot to take a photo!  It was so good - Sweet Potato and Black bean enchiladas.  I forgot to make the crema sauce for the topping, but oh my gosh, so good.  We'll make these again, and make the topping minus the avocado.  I used a store bought non-gmo/low carb tortilla for these too.  The sweet potatoes have to be pre-cooked for this recipe, but worth it.  I used a recipe online from Ambitious Kitchen (I'm finding some goodies on that site) - Sweet Potato Black Bean Enchiladas with Avocado Lime Crema.  

The sauce can be made with home canned tomato sauce and home canned tomato paste, with spices.  Oh my, I cannot wait to plant sweet potatoes, possibly black beans this year too.

Comments

HIBISCUS HOUSE said…
You are making me hungry this morning looking at that Sweet Potato and Black bean enchiladas!
You are such a dedicated reader. I have trouble with the happening going on around here having enough quiet time to read as I'd like. Hopefully you will inspire me to make the time.
Have a good week!
Doly
Susan said…
Oh, those enchiladas look fabulous! I love the combination of sweet potatoes and black beans. I don't know how you can fit in reading with all you have to do every day.
Hibiscus house, thank you. I'm glad I can inspire you to read. I didn't read much over the last two years, so this challenge has gotten me back into it.
Susan, the enchiladas are so good! I am ahead in the reading challenge right now, but may fall behind. All depends on this month. We have lot going on, so I hope we get it out of the way for spring planting.
Debby Flowers said…
Wow, that looks so good! So, about black beans... do you have a place to do some pole beans? I very much recommend Cherokee Trail of Tears which is an heirloom black bean. They are ok to eat as a green bean if you eat them young but they really are for drying - excellent beans! If you can do pole beans I will send you some. They are 2 or 3 years old but I think they will still grow fine.
Thanks Debby, I would love to try those beans. They sound interesting.
RB said…
Odd about that plane flying low so late at night. I wonder... Hmmm...
And boy do those enchiladas look good. I LOVE enchiladas, but not the ones with meat so much, so I usually eat cheese enchiladas with green sauce, but I'm going to try this recipe cause sweet potatoes are right up my alley, so to speak.
Going to the VA tomorrow to see Occupational Therapist to determine how bad my balance is I think, and then to the Neurologist for my Essential Tremor follow up. It's always an all day thing there. Fun Fun Fun!!!
I did get approved for another round of acupuncture for which I'm grateful because since the last session round ran out, I can see my condition deteriorating again, so I'm praying this will bring it back into sync.
I've started cooking again. It's nice for Bro Tom to get home to a hot meal instead of having to cook himself. Tonight we had fried chicken (coated with corn starch cause I can't eat wheat), mashed tatties and homemade gravy thickened with corn starch. It was real good. Not as good as Southern Fried Chicken, but without using wheat flour, you can't make that.
Praying everyone has a safe week. Praying for your needs and for the people in Tennessee. My heart just breaks for them all. Tornadoes are terrifying, day or night, but night I think is worse.
God bless.
RB
<><
Debby Flowers said…
Beans will be on the way tomorrow!
Faith said…
I found a blog with recipes for low carb/diabetic. I thought you may want to take a peek to see things for you to make for the hubster.I havn't tried anything there yet, but intend to. https://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.com/
Thanks RB, Debby and Faith!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart