Skip to main content

What's Been Cooking/Baking?

A batch of good 'ol hummus.  I had some non-gmo tahini that needed used up, and we are eating a good amount of garlic right now.  Too many people getting sick.


Breakfast frittata - homemade sausage (organic lean pork with home grown seasonings) and dandelions from the freezer.
Roasted dinner with a twist (adding asparagus vs. corn on the cob).



Grain free fruit/nut bars - King Arthur Flour recipe (available online).  Amazingly good and healthy.  I didn't have shredded coconut, so I used chopped macadamia nuts and swapped peanut butter for the almond butter.


Made my first no knead, no yeast sandwich bread - low carb too.  It doesn't rise as much as yeast bread, but it tastes great for a sandwich bread.  I found the recipe online (Low Carb Sandwich Bread).  It uses almond flour and coconut flour.  Now my husband can have an egg salad sandwich again, and PB & J, or Tuna or chicken sandwich.  I had all the exact ingredients too.  Even the avocado oil.  I was so shocked it tasted so good.  I will still make regular bread though.  Just not as often.




Comments

Bovey Belle said…
My mum was NOT a good cook (which was unfortunate as her mum was wonderful and made everything and well too!) However, she was able to make a nice crusty edible loaf using baking soda (e.g. Soda Bread) which did rise and was tasty (especially still warm from the oven!) Here's a recipe link if you want to give it a try. https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/irishsodabread_67445
Bovey, thank you for the recipe.
Sam I Am...... said…
It all looks yummy! I like the low carb bread and I will tell my SIL also as he was a big bread maker and now he's supposed to stay away from carbs. Well, me too actually! LOL! I found out about a plant-based milk which I need to investigate too.
Sam I Am the bread tastes great!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart