Skip to main content

from the handiwork journal . . .



...finished the blueberry hot pad set.



. . . finally finished the knitted dishcloth.  Started another set and also finished it.  I literally sold this set I put together right after I put it up on my other blog (who also ordered the second set).




....got more of the yellow netting cut, but still need to cut pink as well.



....finished a coral set of hot pads.  Started a yellow set.




. . . finished a hat for myself, and I love it.  It's very warm.  I will use this pattern for making some to sell for next year's craft shows.  I hope I can get more colors at a good price.






...crocheted these paw print ornaments for the fall craft show.



...crocheted a few cows.  Just need to get eyes on the cats next. 

. . . got a set of coffee cup coasters done.




. . . I got a few more wine cork Christmas trees done. I'll put up a "how-to" soon on my S.C.R.A.P. blogspot.

The clock is ticking closer to the craft show, with a holiday in between it all (3 for us, sigh...), so I'm busy, busy, busy with handiwork.

I'm up early to get the fire stoked.  We got snow last night.  I'll be working on more wine cork Christmas trees.   I can't believe I'm finally using them all up (and no I didn't drink all that, ha ha!  I had a restaurant save them for me many years ago and found them cleaning my closet).

Comments

Lady Locust said…
Those "paw prints" are adorable!
Carol said…
Do you have a sight where you sell these? I am interested in some.
Carol I do, but I don't have them posted on there. It's one of my other blogs "Rooster's Crow Farm" Which items were you interested in?
Leanna said…
These are so cute. I have a few like the pads you made. My late mother-in-law made a few of these by cutting rounds from thick cardboard and crocheting onto the rounds and making the hot pads. That way you could take the crocheted piece off and wash it in the washer and put it back on to use it again. I really cherish them.
Sam I Am...... said…
Such lovely makes! You have been busy! I love the blueberry colored yarn and your set with the purple coordinating...so pretty! I hope you do well at your craft fair this year!
Cockeyed Jo said…
I much prefer quilted hot pads than knitted or crochet ones. My fingers always find the spaces between the stitches and I get burned. The cork trees are a nifty idea and beautiful too.
J.L. Murphey, the hot pads I make are tightly crocheted, but quilted ones are on my list to try and offer options. Two things to learn new are still knitting socks and quilting hot pads. Maybe I can find a kit to learn. Not sure.
Cockeyed Jo said…
Kristina,
I've found the easier way to make socks is on a knitting loom. Being a one-handed knitter, 4 short DPNs is beyond me. Check on Raverly for free patterns. Most sock looms come with a DVD how to. Last year's knitting project was socks. I made 16 pairs (8 for Mel and 8 for me). This year's project is sweaters. I've made three so far. I won't reach my goal of six for the year. :o( For next year's knitting projects include ponchos and two afghan/blankets. I find it's easier to break my personal knitting down into sets for the year.

As far as hot pads go, any quilt square pattern will work.Quilt blocks are sold in pre-cut pieces at Joann's. A single layer of quilt batting and a backing piece, and some bias tape and you're in business. As far as quilting goes, simply add 1/4" top stitching with your machine goes to lock the pieces together. I'd suggest Insul-fleece for added heat protection...cockeyed Jo

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart