Skip to main content

This and That

Thank you everyone for your prayers, good thoughts and well wishes overall.  We are all so shocked and deeply saddened over the passing of our grandson.  They have no diagnosis, and his family awaits an autopsy.  They awoke to him not breathing.

On a more pleasant note, when I changed my bandage this morning, I noticed the wound (at my ankle) getting smaller, which is a sign of healing (but still nasty looking).

Hubby plans to go load up the car our daughter totaled, tow it here, and scrap it for parts.  He then plans to sell what's left for a derby car.  The engine, tires and other new parts will be sold.  That's the plan. Daughter will then use that money to help pay for a new one eventually.  We hope the car is derivable, so they can get it up on the trailer today.  It's costing us $17 a day for every day it is still there at the tow yard.

I am trying to figure out a crock pot dinner, that can be tossed together and then just heated up tomorrow.  Hm.

Oh, if you have a favorite Kimchi recipe, a traditional one, I'd love to try it. Kimchi is one I have yet to make.  It's on my to-do list when I'm up on my feet again.

Oh, and another good note.  After driving to the ER, my ankle and foot swelled up.  I stayed off of it all day and night yesterday, and the swelling has gone.  

Okay, I'm off here and back to my foot up.  I am surrounded by library books, and lots of handiwork today.  I've even been reading about pets and herbs.  King had a seizure recently (our 20 year-old's dog),and we don't know why, so I'm reading up on that and sharing with her.  He can take medication, but the medication will do more harm to him than another seizure.  He's never had one before either.  We are hoping he doesn't have one again, and it may have been caused by something poison related (he had gotten out of their apt. one day, just a few days prior to the seizure happening).

I just know one thing - can't wait to be back on my feet.  I'm doing so much handiwork, my hands are so dry.  I'm completely out of calendula lotion, almost out of my face lotion, and my homemade deodorant is completely gone.  Ugh.  I need to get back in the kitchen and get back to just about everything.  




Comments

Debby Flowers said…
Catching up again... I am so, so sorry for your loss.
Mama Pea said…
I did a post on my "Minnesota Kimchi" a while back and although it's not the traditional kimchi which I believe is made with only cabbage and zingy spices, it's one I've used and we've been very happy with. If you want to look at it, go way down on my right hand side bar until you reach the Search box. Type in "kimchi" and that post will pop up for you.

Hope things around your little homestead take a turn for the better soon.
Thanks Debby. Mama Pea, thanks. I'll check your blog for the recipe. We got the car home but boy it's a mess. They had to load it on our borrowed trailer with a fork lift. We hope to sell the parts and help our daughter get another vehicle soon.
Rain said…
Wow...I missed all of that Kristina! That's so tragic about the death of your grandchild. My gosh. And you daughter totaling the car, I hope she was okay. I'm happy to hear your doing better though!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart