Skip to main content

Random Tidbits

Monday was truly a bad day for me mentally.  Dealing with young adults in today's world is not only a challenge, but one big fat headache (when it shouldn't be).  I raced through my work to keep my mind from exploding into teeny tiny bits.

The wind here has been truly terrible.  However, it's been very helpful in drying all my laundry, rugs (yes rugs in March), and bedding.  I was praying it didn't land out in the pasture by afternoon.


In fact the wind was so bad, raking the pine cones didn't happen.  I managed to get my rake out though.



Instead, I finished up box #1 of our ears of black dakota popcorn.  It was a good day for winnowing.  It literally only took a few minutes this time.

Tuesday the wind sounded like winter.  It was a brisk 29°F out, and very unexpected.  The wind was worse.  We will need to buy two new large tarps now.  Ours are torn to bits. 

It was freezing in the house, and we were out of cut wood, so the resourceful me went on a treasure hunt.  Good thing I had spinach twice in one day.  I needed it to haul the sled of heavy barn wood to the house.  Whew.  

Eggs were pickled. The house was smelling divine again.

Today it's 31°F out, and the wind should die down to 16mph.  We were lucky last night.  No snow.  It fell just south of us.

update:  we are getting snow right now.  Sigh.......


Comments

Susan said…
This seems to be the winter that won't leave. I don't know what I like less - wind or snow. I guess I don't like either if there is too much of it. Here's hoping that your 'young adults' will go out on their own soon and find out how good they had it!
Susan, you are right about what is worse - wind or snow (or both). It's freezing in my house, and no one stoked the fire. I had to get it going again just to exercise. Yes, the girls moving out sooner than later would be great. They both seem to find time and money to buy clothes and go out to eat and spend money on expensive coffee, but can't put money in the bank to secure a place of their own. Only once did our 21 year-old buy the coffee here. She drinks a lot of it when she actually comes home.
Rain said…
That wind sounds chilling. I remember the wind when I lived by the Atlantic Ocean on Prince Edward Island and it could cut right through a person. That sucks that you have snow too! I hope you're doing better mentally. That can be very fatiguing to the physical body too!
Rain, this winter has been too long for all of us. Ugh. Then again, when the heat of summer comes, I'll be ready for fall again too, lol!
RB said…
I know how you're feeling. With the deterioration in my neck and the pain in my shoulders, I get good days and bad days, and the bad weather brings on more bad ones than good ones, but I do believe that this too shall pass.
Our Dad use to say, "What can't be cured must be endured" and this Adventure in Aging I'm experiencing is surely teaching me that. LOL
Prayers everyone has a great weekend, and a safe one too.
God bless.
RB
<><
thank you RB, I hope you feel better soon.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart