Skip to main content

How to Make a Sore Throat Tea and Tidbits

I woke to a sore throat (a few days back), and found I was completely out of marshmallow root, so I threw together the following ingredients for a "sore throat" tea.  

I am simply sharing my experience with this tea.  Please keep in mind that all herbs/roots etc. may have side effects, and some may interfere with some medications.  There are many books and internet sites for you to research the benefits as well as the side effects.  Please research before trying anything.  I have a disclaimer on my blog (I am not a doctor).  I am sharing what worked for me.  Marshmallow root has been used for years for sore throats.  In the past, I have also made a tea with sage, peppermint, ginger, or mullein.


Sore Throat Tea

Boil 2 cup of water and 2 Tbsp. of licorice root, along with one cinnamon stick and some slices of peeled, fresh ginger root. Simmer for 3-4 minutes.

Turn off the heat, strain, and sip while it's hot.  I was amazed at the flavor, and was back to myself in one day.  It has a very sweet taste to it as well. I drank two cups of it in one day, but I'm assuming you'd not want more than 3 in a day maybe?  I'd have to do more research.  No sore throat the next day.  I kept in mind it could be from sinus drainage, so I also used my salt water spray.

However, the next day I had a slight cough and I felt laryngitis kicking in. I put mixed eucalyptus oil with some of my homemade vapo-rub and rubbed that on my chest - boom, cough gone.

Post is short today, but I'm sure I'll be cleaning, making breakfast or dinner  (or both) for the family anyway..  The "Boss" ordered me back to bed to rest today.  Even though I feel better, he's keeping an eye on me and heavier precautions. 

It's just hard to go back to bed, when he was up at midnight for work, back home by 3am, and than at 6am, was chatty.  Oh so chatty.  Yeah, I may take a nap later, but I'm up.  Fire needed stoked anyway. 



Last night moody "Grad" daughter had to work, so the pups were in bed with Hubby and myself.  We watched Hallmark movies and such, while I crocheted (and sipped a Hot Toddy).



Eventually the dogs sprawled out and were clear up to almost our pillows.  Oh they enjoyed their evening for sure.  Oh, and as for "Grad" daughter's attitude, she came home and cleaned the bathroom, did some Christmas decorating, and other cleaning.

Comments

Vicki said…
Thanks for sharing your herbal recipes. Served as a reminder that I need to stock up on the ingredients for teas and such. That is the one area in my prepping where I am not nearly as prepared as should be.
Sandi said…
This looks good! I have never made my own tea, just get the bags. It’s good to have a recipe instead!
Sandi, after I started making medicinal teas, I don't buy it in the bags much. However, you can buy some medicinal herbs in bags such as nettle.
Rain said…
The dogs are ADORABLE....they'll keep you warm on a cold night! Even make your legs fall asleep lol...Alex gets a type of tonsillitis each year, though last year we got lucky. Twice a day I make a fresh veggie juice, he sips chamomile tea and gets a shot of Echinacea, honey, lime juice and Angostura bitters. It takes about 3 weeks, but it always cures him. Hot toddy's are definitely a good helper, also buttered rums. :)
Mama Pea said…
It was probably the movie the dogs liked. Couldn't have been cuddling with the two of you on the bed. On the bed covered with what looks like a homemade quilt. Such hard lives they have to endure.

Hope all your not-so-healthy symptoms are gone by morning.
Thanks Rain, I think natural remedies take longer, but work better in the long run.
Mama Pea, that is a handmade quilt. It was gifted to my Uncle and he gifted it to me. Zuri actually watches the TV. It is so stinkin funny too.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart