Skip to main content

Random Tidbits ~ Project Complete



It was a high of 74°F here yesterday.  The wind kicked up, but boy it was the strangest and oddest weather for us.  Although I don't think it broke any weather records.  I honestly don't remember it ever being this warm in February. 



Woke up to find this fella laying near the driveway.  It's not an odd thing.  Every year we find one there for some reason.  Usually after a rain storm too.  He is far from the river that runs behind us, but he may be on his way there from the ditch too.  We left him alone, but King wanted to eat him.






Checking this project off the "projects in progress" list!  Ta-da!  The granny square hand towel for the bathroom is now finished.  And I made about 4-5 too many squares.  Tip:  Don't drink wine while crocheting, ha ha!   


I made too many of the pink yarn squares, so I accidentally started another towel in the making.  Hubby got a laugh out of that, but loves the towel.  They last longer than hand towels from the store.

 
Last weeks snack food - pumpkin cake (but tastes like pumpkin bread.  I swapped out half the flour for the all-purpose einkorn wheat flour.  I also swapped out half the oil with home canned applesauce.  Delicous! (recipe is online with Taste of Home as Moist Pumpkin Bundt Cake)
 
We got our thunderstorm last night.  Boy did we.  The winds were predicted at 60 mph, but that didn't happen around us.  

I now know that thunder and lightning, while riding on a motorcycle, is extremely loud.  After missing out on a ride the day before, Hubby insisted despite weather predictions.  We got wet, but honestly, it was fun.  We got back and laughed and laughed, and our 15 year-old was trying to scold us without laughing too.  We dried it off and put our wet clothes to dry too. 

My soapbox moment on debit cards:

I'm going back to cash and checks.  I have had my debit card hacked twice recently.  The new card hacked less than 30 days from the replacing the card.  It boggled the fraud department and us.  How in the heck could this happen?!  

We narrowed it down to a few possibilities, only because I hardly used it.  Army daughter's was hacked recently from a gas station skimmer and she too said even chipped cards can be hacked (and is going back to cash).  I knew those cards were giving off a bad vibe when the banks invented them.  I asked if there was a time limit to break in the 3rd newly issued card.  She said 6 months.  So, I'm not using it, watching the account, and I think we'll have less headaches.  I have been holding the role of secretary/investigator/billing clerk.  It paid off.  We got the stolen money back.

It's a good feeling when you succeed.

While in the hospital, my emails piled up at home.  At the end of the year, if we get enough points with the health plan at Hubby's work (we have to earn points to keep our insurance plan and price, which involves using a fitbit, watching videos that waste my time, and having a health coach call etc.).  

I got my points, but never got my $100 gift card.  I called finally and inquired.  They had sent me the email to get my card, the same day I left the hospital.  They re-sent it, and I now have $100 to spend at Bass Pro shop.  They have very few choices that we can benefit from (gift cards to choose), so I picked Bass Pro.  They have mostly clothing and restaurant choices and one hotel chain.  Bass Pro sells hunting, camping, and even other clothing.  One year we used the card to buy a very good pair of all weather muck boots (very much needed).  Succeeding with this made my day too.  

Comments

Mama Pea said…
There's no doubt about it: In this day and age, you have to be your own advocate . . . in all aspects of life!
Rain said…
Oooh Kristina, what I would do with $100 at Bass Pro Shops!!! We bought about $100 worth of fishing lures there a few years back. There are some things we just can't find here. I know that feeling vis-a-vis the debit card. I had over a thousand from my savings account stolen in 2007. I was really devastated and I remember breaking down into tears when I was at the bank because it was just so violating. I also got the money back because I could prove that I was at another store at the time paying for a prescription while whoever it was, was withdrawing the money at a bank machine way way WAY across the province. Turns out it was a debit card ring - they called it. They put a special chip in the bank machines that read your number, and someone is watching not far away with binoculars to jot down your PIN number. Apparently they are 50% successful because people don't even think that anyone could be watching if they aren't directly behind them, so they rarely shield the PIN pads. I'm so glad you got your money back.

And I thought the rule was "Don't Drink and Knit"...I'll have to remember to add "Crochet" to the list when I learn hee hee! :)
Rain, my husband started laughing when he saw I made a few too many granny squares. He said, "I think you better not sip wine and crochet anymore, ha ha!"
RB said…
Your hand work is so beautiful, I bet your house is just lovely with them around here and there.
Prayers everyone has a wonderful week, and a safe one too.
God bless.
RB
<><

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart