Skip to main content

Surprise Mail and Other Homestead Happenings

There is a lot going on this weekend.  One surprise I can't tell you about until tomorrow.

The mail surprise was a blessing. My cousin messaged me that he had his Mom's knitting needles and crochet hooks and wanted to know if I'd like to have them.

I said yes of course.  My Aunt is the Aunt I hand wrote letters to so often, along with "happy boxes."


The surprise was this! I not only received needles and hooks, but yarn, and her notebook with patterns, and this very old pattern book.  What a treasure to have!

I've successfully made another new dishcloth.   What can I say?  It was a rainy day that day.   It may be trivial, but I learned SL with knitting now (purlwise and knitwise).   This dishcloth is knitted on the inside and crocheted on the border.  I just used up some extra "country yellow" I had.  The remaining yarn will be used in the scrap rug.

My nephew turned two, and we are blessed to find out they are expecting again, and this time it is a girl.  I need to get his present delivered sometime soon too.  

I must ska-doodle and get this posted. Have a wonderful Saturday.
 
 





Comments

Mama Pea said…
How wonderful to get that treasure box of items that were your aunt's.

My mom didn't knit a lot but some She was an expert crocheter and did a lot of that. I have her knitting needles and gave her crochet hooks (some of them bone) to my daughter because she inherited the talent for crocheting.

Your knitting looks very even and lovely. I knew you would be able to knit because you're so talented with all handwork.
Thank you Mama Pea. I hope to get some socks knitted next. Maybe next winter.
RB said…
Well congratulations. What wonderful Easter surprises.
Prayers for everyone to have a safe happy week.
God bless.
RB
<><
RB said…
Well congratulations. What wonderful Easter surprises.
Happy Easter everyone!!!
Prayers for everyone to have a safe happy week.
God bless.
RB
<><
what a fantastic surprise!
I know you'll treasure your aunts crafting tools...and and think of her often when you use them!
congrats on the new neice. We don't know what we are getting with this next grandbaby due in late July. I should be crocheting SOMEthing. I have been crazy busy. The dish cloth is cheerful.

Hope you have a great week!
Patricia, there are three babies due in our family this fall. I may be gifting diapers. Two on Hubby's side, and one on my side of the family.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart