Skip to main content

Homemade Hand Sanitizer

I found this recipe in my "try it" stash pile.  I must have printed it way back in 2010.  You'll probably laugh, but I even found a crochet pattern in my "recipe stash."



Youngest was still in elementary school, and I had been recycling school papers for printer paper.


I have no idea where I got this recipe either.  I did not put any notes on it.  My guess, is that I put it to the side, due to the ingredients.  Back then I did not have all of them.  Today, however, I have them, and quickly mixed up a jar of it.  I guess that shows me how much I have learned over the past several years.


The recipe states to use a "glass" jar to mix it in.  I am wondering if I could put this in a travel (BPA free) bottle for any future weekend (or other) road trips?  I've heard so many bad reviews about the hand sanitizers sold in stores, so I am so happy I am depleting this very old pile of recipes and finding these gems. 

Hand Sanitizer
1/4 cup witch hazel *
1/4 cup aloe vera gel
1 teaspoon vegetable glycerin
1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
10 drops tea tree essential oil

Mix all ingredients in a glass jar and shake well.
To use, simply dab a bit on your hands and rub in.
*note: I used all organic ingredients, and a high quality witch hazel (available at most health stores).  I had witch hazel extract on hand from making homemade bug spray, and it is much better on my skin in my opinion.

Update on the organic aloe vera gel.  I've had this product on hand due to the hay rash I got a while back.  My girls have been dabbing it on acne and it dries it up and is better on their skin.       
 

Comments

Kim said…
It is nice to see a recipe for this. Thanks for sharing. it would be nice if you could put it in a squeeze or even a spray bottle. I have a aluminum spray bottle I got at the $$$ tree, I wonder if that might work?
Kim, it does have a teensy bit of gel due to the aloe and glycerin, so I may try a squeeze bottle.
Lady Jane said…
Thanks, I will try this. I made the bug spray recipe and it was great. Hugs, LJ
Lady Jane, I love that bug spray too. I've been using the sanitizer for a few days. I made it in time too. One kiddo is sick. I hope we can stop the germs from getting passed around.
Dawn said…
I made some hand sanitizer last year, still using it up it was a large bottle much prefer it to the stuff in shops, will have to give yours a try next :-)
Mama Pea said…
You are just full of such good tips! So generous of you to share it all with the rest of us. Thanks.
Dawn, please let us know which one is better, your recipe or this one. It's the first for me to try.
Mama Pea, you are welcome. I'm just working my way through the recipe pile.
RB said…
Good to have this. I use hand sanitizer daily when I'm working at the store. Many don't know this, but store meat packaging isn't bacteria free on the outside and may even have blood contamination, so touching that then touching something you eat raw without washing your hands first AND then the item you eat raw before you eat it, could be a cross-contamination event that could cause sickness or even death.
Heck even that touching the outside of cereal boxes, canned food, etc., spreads contamination throughout one's entire vehicle and household.
If the store doesn't provide it, I get plastic bags from the produce section and take it to the meat department to place individual meat packages in before placing them in my basket, on the checkout belt, in carry out bags, my vehicle, etc.
I don't see any ingredients that wouldn't be ok in a plastic bottle, but to be sure, try a few drops in one overnight before committing to doing it.
Prayers everyone has a safe happy week.
God bless.
RB
<><
Katmom said…
Wowzers! I need to share this recipe with my daughter... hugz
RB, I do think about that when I have been shopping. Thanks for the tips.
Katmom, I made one batch already.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart