Skip to main content

Making Homemade Ketchup with Home Canned Tomato Paste

If you are a regular reader of my blog, you know that the massive amounts of rain killed off our garden harvest.  I was able to can one batch of ketchup, which did not last long.


However, our previous garden year was absolutely wonderful, and I canned tomato paste for the first time.



With some old-fashioned recipe books, some home canned tomato paste, and additional ingredients, I was able to make ketchup.  I'll admit, I would cut back the apple cider vinegar a bit, but it was tasty.  There are many recipes for making online as well (using canned tomato paste). 
 


Now, that's a real "from scratch" recipe.  Can't get better than that.  Mmm! 

Previous Post:  Home Preserving ~ Tomato Paste 

Comments

Mama Pea said…
Turning an abundance of tomato paste into ketchup. You sure are the epitome of the creative homemaker!
Susan said…
Ever since I made my own ketchup, I cannot use anything else! Great use of your canned goods, Kristina! There is always a reason why some years are more bountiful than others, I think.
Mama Pea, I do use the paste in many dishes too.
Susan, I think you are right about bounty some years.
Michelle said…
We had a lot of tomatoes this year. I dehydrated a bunch of it and turned it into a powder for making tomato sauce and paste. I wonder if I could re hydrate it and make ketchup .
I recently made home made ketchup... it was a bit sweet to me, and I thought ours needed a bit more apple cider vinegar.
I of course didn't have the home made tomato paste... like you did, but wow! You go girl!
You are so resourceful with what you DO have. I hope your garden this year brings a good yield for you!
Michelle, I am not sure on making ketchup with dehydrated tomatoes. I would think you could.
Patricia, I have found so many different recipes for ketchup with tomato paste. It's been fun trying some.
RB said…
Our Dad tried to make home made ketchup once. It turned out brown and thick, and tasted more like sorgum or molasses than ketchup. As kids use to Hunts, etc., of course, we wouldn't eat it.
It did work well for BBQ sauce though, and that's how he finally used it all up.
God bless.
R
<><
RB, glad you hear you could still use it for something.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart