Skip to main content

Jewelweed ~ Milk Weed ~ Poison Ivy Remedies


This is the jewelweed solution prepared by an acquaintance.  She simply boiled it in water, strained it and cooled it.  She gifted it to us in an old soda bottle.


We simply apply it with a cotton ball.  It's helped dry up Hubby's hands, but the rash is worse in other places.  I read up on jewelweed and the actual "juices" of the plant work best, and before, the rash appears.  Now this plant has me curious.  I'm reading all sorts of information on it.    



As for my own poison ivy, I opted to try the milk weed. 
I walked out to the pasture, pulled a few milk weed leaves and applied the milk to my ivy rash.  On contact, it burned a bit.  When Hubby got home from work, his rash was worse and irritated (his hands were dried up however).  So, he walked out and applied milk weed on his rash too.   He had been using a tube of Ivy Dry (has used up two tubes) all day, and it was not giving him much relief.  He's also been using Technu shower scrub (cost him $12), and again, no quick relief.  He works out in the heat at work, so the heat makes his even worse.




The milk weed burns, but it dries a layer over the rash.  We left it there overnight, washing it off with soap and water in the morning.  

I saw a difference right away with my rash.  Hubby's worst areas healed much faster too.  The milk weed does speed up the healing process.  It helps dry up the rash and gives relief to the itch.

Comments

Mama Pea said…
Seems like the "natural" remedies are the best, doesn't it? And certainly cost less!
Mam Pea, I had no clue that milk weed worked. Now, I just have to remember where he pulled the ivy vines so I can watch out for those.
Kim said…
Kristina, the jewelweed works best if pulled and crushed in your hands and rubbed onto the affected areas as soon as you realize you have been into the poison ivy. And the crazy part about jewelweed is it almost always is growing near the poison ivy patch! Check it out!
Thanks Kim. I don't have jewelweed here, and it's odd considering the river behind us and the wet ground too. I'll have to look for it next time I'm out visiting other places too.
RB said…
This is all good to know. Wonder if milkweed would work on fire ant bites. I've literally got dozens of scars on my feet and ankles from the darn things biting me through the years, especially this year.
God bless.
RB
<><
RB, the milkweed dried up our poison ivy very quickly. I might work on those bites too.
RB said…
Good to know about the milkweed. Found a blog on Jewelweed that does some mighty healing too that you might be interested in.
The url is:
http://www.blindpigandtheacorn.com/blind_pig_the_acorn/2015/09/jewelweed-blooms.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+BlindPigTheAcorn+%28Blind+Pig+And+The+Acorn%29

I hope you'll take a look.

God bless.

RB
<><
RB, I'll have to check that you. Thanks.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart