Skip to main content

From "Stash to Trash" ~ Corn Chili Bake

I'm progressing at working on that pile of recipes to try.  It's hard to keep up it with it.  I still like my usual from "garden to table" recipes, like the one we recently enjoyed - boiled cabbage with potatoes and added cooked sausage.  It was so nice to enjoy something straight out of the garden.

The next recipe to try ~ Corn Chili Bake.  It came from Nourish and Heal magazine (2014).  I of course looked online to see if it was posted on their site, but I could not locate it.  So, I am posting it here with by adapting organic ingredients (and beef vs. ground turkey).  You can get all of the vegetables and black beans from a garden.  And you can also make your own fire-roasted tomatoes.  I had dehydrated cayenne peppers and had my own homemade powder on hand.
 

I think I get drawn to these types of recipes, because they scream "self sufficiency."   But.....this recipe did not scream "bake this again" when we tasted it.  So this recipe went from "stash to trash."  The kids said they'd rather just have a big bowl of our favorite chili.  


This recipe is good, but not that good.  I'm posting it for anyone who may wish to try it, but honestly it could use some added "heat," such as a jalapeno or hot banana pepper.  It was kind of bland to taste, even with my cayenne pepper in it. Hubby ate his with tortilla chips, and said it is better that way.


Corn Chili Bake
Organic olive oil
1 large onion, diced
1 large bell pepper, red or green, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb. organic/grass fed ground beef
1 tsp. salt
1 15 oz. can of organic black beans, drained and rinsed*
2 14.5 oz. cans of organic fire-roasted diced tomatoes,   
  undrained
1 - 6 oz. can of black olives, drained, chopped
2 cups frozen corn
2 Tbsp. chili powder
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. ground cayenne (or hot pepper of your choice)
1/2 cup organic stone-ground corn meal
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese

*I like to cook up black beans (organic) and either freeze them or use them throughout the week.  

Preheat oven to 350°F.  Oil a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with olive oil.

Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.  Add onion and bell pepper.  Saute until they are softened.  Add garlic, beef, and salt.  Cook until meat is thoroughly cooked.

Drain the meat mixture.  Add black beans, tomatoes, olives, corn, chili powder, cumin, hot pepper, and corn meal.  Stir to gently combine.  Transfer mixture to the oiled baking pan.

Sprinkle with cheese, bake uncovered for about 40 minutes or until it is heated through. 

I made some homemade buttermilk cornbread to go with dinner, and I am happy to report, I did not double it this time.  We won't have to eat cornbread for days and days (ha ha!).  But, we'll be eating the chili bake dish for a few days.  It makes a 9 x 13 pan, which is way too much for us now.

Comments

Kim said…
Sometimes they are just not worth keeping.
Kim, I admit, I was relieved that I had the self-control to toss a recipe out. I do have more to try though.
RB said…
Sounds good, but I sure am grateful you said it wasn't that special.
I'll just make my own chili, the way our Grandmother Redmond did then. Yum Yum
LOL
God bless.
RB
<><
It's a healthy recipe, but a good chili recipe is better I think.
Sam I Am...... said…
Boy , it sure looked good..of course it's supper time here and I'm hungry! LOL!
Sam I am, it was good but no one wanted the leftovers like you would if it was a good chili. One daughter (and Hubby) liked it more for a snack with tortilla chips.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart