Skip to main content

Chicken Tacos ~ Homemade Tortillas


I decided to take advantage of all this rain, and throw more flower seeds down.  If there is one thing we'll get this summer, it will be the most colorful flower beds yet.



 With our roasted chicken yesterday, I decided to try a
new recipe - Chicken Tacos.  Aside from the cumin (which I have tried to grow twice), this taco is a self-sufficient meal. We used the very last jar of homemade zucchini salsa. Hubby and the kids loved these.   I took some of the black bean/corn/cumin mixture out for our vegetarian daughter, before I added the chicken.  Basically she had the same thing, only without chicken.  She loved them too. Instead of "slaw mix" you can just shred a cabbage and mix in shredded carrots. Absolutely delicious!!





I made homemade tortillas for the tacos too, and boy do they taste wonderful.


And with the humidity outdoors, and more storms, I stayed inside and made us a blueberry crumble.

Comments

Sandra said…
We love tacos here, and nothing taste as good as homemade tortillas :)
Sandra, Hubby loved these, and he typically is a corn tortilla taco man. I loved the ingredients too. I'm sure I'll be baking and freezing more tortillas.
Mama Pea said…
Can I put in my order for some of those frozen tortillas for the freezer? They sound wonderful! I've been making myself (hubby is not so crazy about them) "wraps" this summer, but (she admits shame-facedly) I'm using organic purchased tortillas. Mostly mine are meatless with shredded cheese and lots of chopped up veggies in them including mustard greens that give them a real zip. Every once in a while I buy a small container of wild salmon spread from our local fish market, and boy howdy, does that make a tasty wrap with the other veggies!
Mama Pea, the homemade ones are so good. Your wraps sound wonderful. We love salad in a pocket so these will be a great substitute. I love to make egg/bean or egg wraps too. I'm thinking we could grill fish for fish tacos too.
EMMA said…
Oh my - that looks soo good!!!
Emma, they were very good. Our vegetarian daughter ate two of them without the chicken.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart