Skip to main content

New Blooms ~ Rain ~ Library Visit

Despite the weeds multiplying here this season, I am still getting some new blooms in the flower beds.  I've been dodging the rain showers (and storms) and cutting flowers to bring inside.


You can see the bees are very busy this year in the flower beds too.



My very fragrant red rose bush died over the past two winters, and last winter the yellow rose bush died.  With our frigid winters now, I guess I will be covering them from now on.  Next spring, I will be replanting new rose bushes.  

I've had my spearmint plant for over 10 years, and it died over winter.  I planted new seeds.  And of course never saved any seeds because it grew back every year.  I can't imagine a summer without spearmint iced tea. 


Yesterday, as I was pulling more radishes, it started raining early.   Like 8am early.  The day prior, the forecast said it would rain late afternoon, then in the morning it said 10am.  It put me back inside the remainder of the day.  So frustrating.


Even so, I canned more radish relish.  I had to be productive one way or another.



Using kale from the garden, fresh eggs, and goat's milk....


I took time to make a breakfast sausage/kale millet skillet.


I also made more cheese, and did some more house cleaning.  I even crocheted a bit last night.

It rained again last night.  Rain is scheduled to arrive again later today, but with thunderstorms.  That means if they are correct, we'll get way too much rain.

Hubby's sister is still in the hospital, but breathing on her own.   We'll get another update soon. 

The kids have an AC unit upstairs finally.  It's been almost 6 years since we've had one up there.  It registered 87°F up there before they turned it on.  The temperature has been higher than that too.  However, now I see less of the kids, so I have to keep checking their chore list, and inspecting their work.

I actually visited the library yesterday.  If felt like a year since I had walked into it.  One of the girls went with me and we both signed up for the summer reading program.  I hope I can stay up with it.  They are drawing names for gift cards and so forth.  I came home with two books from authors I do not know.  I'm still going to read my Hemingway books here as well.  Another daughter is reading books as well.  And to help out the library, we checked out some movies for the week.   



Comments

Mama Pea said…
You must have put in one huge patch of radishes to be getting enough to make all your relish! Just the two of us are eating all the radishes I've gotten so far. But I do have two more succession plantings of them coming along.

You really need to do a No More Rain dance. Holy cow, your measurements of precipitation must be astronomical by now! Have you kept track?
Mama Pea, I have a good amount of radishes, because I wanted to share with my Mom. And I wanted to try the relish. It takes 3 cups of trimmed radishes to make the relish (measuring them before chopping). I plan to check the news after tonight's storms and see if they have an up date on how many inches of water we've gotten. Rivers are flooded, and I hope it doesn't flood up into our property this year.
I will be saying a prayer for your husband's sister. Hope she is better soon. And how beautiful are all of your makings from the garden! And your cheese!!! That is just way to awesome! Here is to the garden!! Have a great Friday! Nicole xo
Susan said…
My gosh, you sure have had more than your share of rain! It seems like the weather is nothing but extremes anymore. I hope you get a dry spell soon. Our weather has been very cool for this time of year, something not enjoyed by my tomatoes. Be sure to take time for yourself - reading is so wonderful!
Susan, we got more rain last night. It's too wet to get to till in the garden, and very wet to weed, but I'm out there. Just came in to prepare dinner. Allergies are in an uproar, and my eyes are burning. I hope to be able to read tonight.
EMMA said…
Your breakfast looks delicious. Something in my garden is eating all my kale...
Hope you get a lovely sunny day today, it's looking good here.
Emma, I am using a homemade bug spray on my plants this year. It is made with garlic, onion, etc. So far it works great.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart