Skip to main content

On the Crochet Hook ~ Memorial Day


It's a bit blurry, but I have a new project on the crochet hook now.  I'll share photos when it's completed. 



The shortest blog post this year I think.......spending the weekend thinking about those who have died in active military. I think folks forget the real meaning of Memorial Day, and I was surprised some of my kids did not know the meaning of it.


My thoughts also go out to veterans, wounded warriors, and active military.  

Thank you to all those brave soldiers who honor and protect and serve.

I haven't seen my son in several months, so I can't imagine those who have lost a family member in active military.



Comments

Thank you so much for this important reminder!
Sam I Am...... said…
The crochet looks so nice...loving the white!
We used to put flowers on graves on Memorial Day since most of my relatives served in WWII. My mother and father both served in WWII. There are so many more nowadays too and the wounds seem like they never heal.
RB said…
A good summary of the history of Memorial Day (originally Decoration Day for the decorating of the graves of departed soldiers) is here. http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/05/22/historical-facts-memorial-day/27817017/
If the numbers of dead listed there don't choke a person up, I'd wonder if they have a soul.

What many don't understand about those who serve in the US military is, for the vast number, it is a "calling" - to be a part of something greater than oneself and to be trained to know how to successfully stand in the gap to protect the defenseless.

Because they answer that "calling" and serve with success, honor and respect is due them at all times, during service and well after their time in service is over, and I'll tell you why, because I wouldn't hesitate to say there isn't a single one among them that wouldn't pick up a firearm and defend the defenseless even today.

God bless them all, and more, remember too the families that support and stand beside them, often struggling in their absence to keep the home fires burning brightly while they're gone.

God bless.

RB
(USMC Sergeant, 1969-72, Semper Fi!!!)
You are welcome Patricia!
Sam I am, I have about half of the crochet project done.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart