Skip to main content

How to Make a Plastic Canvas Santa Money Holder Christmas Ornament



Front


Back


I simply used regular yarn (scraps) for these ornaments, and a yarn needle.


Colors of yarn needed:
Red
White
Pink
Black

You will need plastic canvas, a sharp pair of scissors and a yarn needle.


To assemble.  Note: read entire post before starting.  The photos below have arrows to guide you.

Sew the entire mustache with white.  Set aside.  

Sew both back and front as stated.  

Sew the mustache to the front piece by holding it on top of the front (completed) piece, and by bringing red yarn in from the back hole as shown by the arrows in the photo, then back down a few spaces in the same row, and knot on the back.

Start sewing the edging of the front piece at the very top row, then place front piece on the lower portion of the completed back piece.  Hold together and sew front to back piece using white yarn.



Patterns that need cut from plastic canvas are below.


Back:  Cut as shown, and use white in upper corner, and red from the top to one row in the widest part (larger arrow is showing this row).



Front:  Use pink to make Santa's face, leaving 4 rows empty above, two empty from the smallest width area, and leaving 6 rows empty below.  All edges will be finished when it's sewn together.


Mustache:  Use white yarn for entire piece, and edges.  


Stitches are worked like embroidery, but not in "X's".  Simply go in from the back and down in the upper right space, as shown. 

For the face, you will make long stitches, with the white yarn, going in from the back, and down in the last space below, as shown in the photos.  Eyes are simply made by an "X" stitch in black.


Using red yarn, go in from the back (center, top), leaving a tail of yarn, then back down a few squares over (evenly), leaving another tail of yarn.  Cut and tie ends into a knot for a hanger.


If you have trouble with these instructions, please leave a comment.

Comments

Sam I Am...... said…
So, there's a pocket in the back? Very cute!
Sam I am, I added a photo that shows where to tuck the money in.
Joanne said…
Thank you so very much for posting this. I can't wait to make it.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart