Skip to main content

Flower Cup Coaster ~ More Gardening

I'm using leftover scrap yarn from crocheting seat cushions, to make these cup coasters in my very few spare minutes of time (which is about a few nights a week now, ha ha).


I used a pattern I found online, that is initially for a sunflower cup coaster.  I simply changed  out the colors of yarn to make these.

If you have scrap yarn, these are fun to make with any color combination. 


Tiger has already discovered the cozy cushions.  Here he appears to have the look "oh phooey, she caught me."  I really think he was saying, "stop standing there looking at me and fire up the wood stove.  It's freezing in here!"  The day I took this photo it was pretty cold in the kitchen.

We are warming up to the 70's this weekend, so I've been working my rear off in the garden.  We still need to till up more than half of the remaining space yet.

What's planted now?  

.....sugar snap peas (another 20 foot fence), lettuce, romaine, spinach, collards,  and some of the cabbages (green and red).  I also got the radishes planted.  

I still have a few more cold weather vegetables to get into the ground.  I need to plant carrots, beets and my onions yet.

And why so many peas?  Well, Hubby loves to munch on the sugar snap peas raw, or with a dip.  I love them in chicken teriyaki.   This is our first year growing shell peas.

The goats are getting wormed now (sad face), so this means I have to wait to make more cheeses.  Not that I need it, but I do enjoy it when I know where it came from.

It's raining a bit, so no garden planting today.  I'm actually bummed about that.  I have been doing great with progress.

I'm whipping up some hot ginger tea today for inflammation.  My Spring allergies have got to be the worst ever this year. The nettle tea helps, but the ginger really reduces the inflammation.  This morning I am thankful for my cold, lavender eye pack.

Maybe I'll take the "rain" advantage today, and read some of my current Hemingway book.

I hope your day is filled with blessings!

Comments

HeatherD76 said…
We plant a ton of sugar snap peas too. Like your husband, I love to munch on them raw. Tastes so yummy that way. I start planting all my cold weather veggies this weekend. It has finally thawed out and is above freezing at night consistently.
Mama Pea said…
When I hear of all you've gotten planted in the garden already, I'm tempted to think I'll NEVER get anything out of mine this year! It's a full month yet until I can safely plant much of anything . . . if I don't cover it with a cold frame. But despite our short (that's an understatement!) growing season I always manage to get pretty good crops. It's just so hard to WAIT at this time of year to get started!

Don't get discouraged about a rainy day . . . it's just what your newly planted seeds need!

You're fortunate to be wise enough to know natural remedies for your awful allergies. I know you've studied a lot to get where you are on them though. Hope relief comes to you soon!
Mama Pea, every year I take a chance at when we plant. One year, Hubby and I planted almost everything by Mother's Day and late May we had a frost. We had gone away that weekend, so it didn't get covered. We lost almost everything that year.
Heather, for some reason, I can only get my kids to eat the peas cooked. They do make a nice snack though.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart