Skip to main content

April Already?!

Heavy winter coats are finally going into storage.
 
Yesterday was absolutely wonderful outside. I filled my clothesline. 



I brought a few pots to the porch. 


I brought a few wooden chairs to the porch to prime.  I took the cupboard piece to the porch to prime. 

I cleaned a few very dirty windows.

 The goats were all out basking in the sunshine.

All the while, I breathed in the spring air, and listened to the goats, chickens and birds.  It was very peaceful outside, and so much, that I opened some windows.

Then it happened.  

Spring left us.   

Windows were closed.


I wasn't even noon yet.  The sun disappeared, the clouds rolled in, the drizzle started, and the temperature dropped.   And it stayed that way the rest of the day.  We once again fired up the wood stove.  



I ended up warming up with a cup of homemade hot chocolate. 

I walked the dogs for the first time since the tundra melted and dried up a bit, but I had to wear my muck boots.  Brrr!

The cupboard piece was brought inside and primed.


I decided (because you know how I like to torture myself with five projects at once), since I finished another kitchen chair cushion, I'd work up a placemat to match them (and to check color combinations).  I was waiting for Hubby to get back with truck parts anyway, and bottle feeding was soon.  Oh, the bottle feeding......trying to get all my chores and that done is a "hair-puller."

I'm told the weather will warm up to the 70's towards the weekend.  I've got more porch prep on the to-do list, if it does - sweep down spider webs, wash down siding, prime chairs and start painting them, etc.  I am just trying to get all the non-garden chores finished before that starts up.

  

Comments

Mama Pea said…
Send some of that beautiful spring weather our way (even if it does only last until noon!) and I'll get as inspired and energized as you! Still only "wintry mix" (yuck) for us . . . and blast and dang, a warning of very high winds (40 mph)for tomorrow. Oh, well. I guess the winds will help dry things out for us. Batten down the hatches!!
Carolyn said…
Well.....it IS April (an excuse, but not a good one). I hate having to start the woodstove on warm days, but cool nights, it feels like I've been defeated somehow. But hot cocoa makes everything better :)
Mama Pea, unfortunately with the warmer temps coming, we are also getting rain. So outdoor work will be delayed again. Hubby has plenty of indoor work (as well as me), but I'm hankering for porch time.
Carolyn, tonight I'm telling everyone to put on flannel jammies and robes. I just don't feel like hauling wood in tonight. I told them to pretend they're camping, ha ha!
Sam I Am...... said…
So glad to be back catching up with you. Your list sounds like mine except for the goat feeding. LOL!
We've had the same weather too...I don't know how to dress in the morning. Today I took the girls for a walk and we got back just in time before the sky let loose!
I have painting to do too. I'm going backwards through your posts so i hope I see the chair pads.
Sam I am, I will post another picture of the chair today too. I just did rounds, increasing them with double crochet.
RB said…
Kristina's saying Spring left reminds me of our North Carolina Springs which are often very short and quickly blend right into hot muggy 90 degree Summer weather. How often someone has asked me, "Did we have Spring yet?" To which I've answered, "Yes, it was Tuesday afternoon, which is just about the size of Spring many years here. LOL
God bless.
RB
<><
RB, I remember that sweltering heat when we drove down to NC and SC last summer (for the kids graduations). Oh my, that was heat for sure.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart