Skip to main content

Scrap Yarn Fun and Other Tidbits


It rained, and two kiddos left for the day (and night), and when that happens.....



I tend to be lazy.  I did get some dishes done, but I opted for porch time.  The rain cooled the weather so nicely, I could not resist.





I opted for "crochet" porch time and got these cute granny round dishcloths finished.  They are dishcloths, but can be used for pot holders or doilies as well.  I nice way to use up scrap yarn.


I really need to make another box of these fire starters too.  We took them to the island, for our campfire, and they worked great.

As for the exercise journey of Hubby and I, we are back to the gym.  The entire family too.  I had not weighed myself from last year (believe or not), but the pants tell all.  They were getting tight.  I am up 8 pounds from losing my 25 last year, but have already shed about 2 of those.  I don't think that is too bad, considering I kept most of it off for a year.

Hubby is losing faster, but has more to lose too.  My goal is to walk 3 miles a day.  I figure, if my older two kids can sleep on rocks all night in the rain, and sleep in filth and sweat, then I can walk a measly 3 miles and get in shape.  We worked our chest the other day at  the gym, and I can barely hold my coffee cup up without strain and pain.  But.  All I think about now is the kids.  No complaining here.  

Today is another day working in the garden(s).  If I get out there and find it's too wet yet, I won't complain about that extra porch time I get.

Forgot to mention.....we roasted a chicken last night and used the leftover rhubarb BBQ sauce.  Yum!  It's awesome on chicken too.




Comments

Mama Pea said…
Great way to keep yourself motivated to exercise and lose weight . . . thinking about what your kids are going through. It's all relative, isn't it?

Porch time. What a nice sound that has. It may be quilt room time for me as the rain has started already this morning, should go all day with HEAVY rain forecast for tomorrow. Time for my wood working muscles to recover!
Kelly said…
I love your granny rounds and the color choices are so pretty! Gardening will help you lose weight or hurt your back, lol!!!
Sam I Am...... said…
I love those fire starters. Do you have a recipe for those? And it goes without saying I would LOVE the dish clothes too. You are a fast crocheter to get all those done.
I'm off to walk this morning. Nice and cool here 61...I think the North has moved SOuth! LOL!
For the fire starters, I have instructions on my SCRAP blog: http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/2014/02/how-to-make-fire-starters-using-walnut.html

I did have my dishcloths done, but had to sew in all the ends yesterday. After I took the photo, I saw that missed the first one, ha ha!
I've got motivation now days from my kids -- I just found out this week I'm Type 2 diabetic...I also have news of being an Oma AGAIN!
aCCKKK!!! I need to lose the weight and get healthy.
I like the wash cloths-- I have so many scraps to do something with-and it's so hot. I can't find myself being sedentary right now, when I don't exercise regularly. I'll probably save all that for the fall. :)
Glad the gym is good for your family. We're not gym people. :/
--have a peaceful weekend, Pat
Congrats on being an Oma again Pat! We don't always get to the gym, but I do like the treadmills to walk on. We sometimes ride bikes too.
SUSSEXMOUSE said…
Oh wow ! Your Crochet rounds are beautiful and make me wish that I could Crochet. take care now. Marion
EMMA said…
Love those colorful dishcloths!
I'd like the recipe for those fire starters too, if you wouldn't mind sharing it.
The weather has cooled down here too, makes working in the garden a lot more agreeable.
Liz said…
Those rounds are so pretty and colorful! Wish I could crochet. I am trying to lose those last 10 pounds. I have been doing the couch to 5k app.
RB said…
So beautiful. I once did work like this. I need to get back into it, along with my jewelry making and loom beading. I keep using the excuse that it will be a good little personal side business I can fall back on when I am no longer physically able to work at the store, but I need to remember - we aren't promised tomorrow, so I NEED to do the things I WANT to do NOW!!!

Also, I've lost about 18-20# since CHRISTmas, basically trading chewing ice chips for less Chips and Cheetos, and I've kept it off, along with keeping my diabetes number generally below 125-135 per day (when it was in the 170-185 per day at the end of last year. Yipee!!!

Try it - ice chips!!!

God bless.

RB
<><

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart